Logo

AQ125A Outdrive problems

C

Clint Stratt

"Hello there. I am a first ti

"Hello there. I am a first time boat owner and im having a problem with my motor. First I am having a problem with the motor just stopiing at idle and not restarting till after about 15 minutes and lots of throttle help. Temps, oil pressure, oil levels all good and just installed water fuel seperator. Has new spark plugs, wires and now a new coil. Idle seems a little low to me, but not sure exactly what it should be. Secondly, if i leave the key on the on position it will fry my coil and blow my ignition fuse..is that normal? Thirdly, where the latch engages that cross bolt if you will there are three holes. Mine is all the way in towards the stern of the boat and feels sloppy even when engaged, not a tight latch on at all. And when i put it in reverse, the whole outdrive tries to kick up..can i just move that bolt out further so that pawl locks on better? Any help would be much appreciated..Thanks!!!"

"Boy, you seem to have a few p

"Boy, you seem to have a few problems. Let's see if the following helps.

Regarding motor stopping at idle. Next time it happens, try to start with the lever at WOT (in neutral!!), then kick it back quickly to idle once the engine starts. It could be very well that your idle mixture is too ruch, so you may want to adjust your idle mixture as well as checking your engine's compression. Idle should be 900 RPM.

Regarding frying points, that can happen (and does happen) if you leave the igniton on. However, you may want to check that you have the right ignition coil. If it is 1.5 ohms, you need an external resistor. You can also run the engine with a coil that has an internal resistor (3 + ohms), in which case you can get rid of the external resistor.

Regarding the latch. Make sure the springs are there and that the mechanism is free; if it feels seized or sluggish, free it and lubricate it. Also, the pawls should lock regardless on which hole you place the trim pin. Make sure that the pawls are not worn.

If you haven't got a copy of the Seloc or Clymer's manuals for your engine, I strongly advise you to get either of them (even better, get both if you can, they are about $30 each).

And finally, consider replacing your points and condenser with a Pertronix electronic ignition kit. They sell for around $70 and you will never have to change points again. You will also notice that the engine idles far better than with points, and that it starts better even in cold damp weather. The Pertronix kit for your engine is # 2842."

"thanks for your help you obvi

"thanks for your help you obviously know your stuff, i got the manuals for my engine like you suggested and am learning quite a bit as i go. Where can i get the petronix electronic ignition kit from? And will I need to get another coil for the new ignition kit."

"You can get the kits directly

"You can get the kits directly from www.pertronix.com. You can also get them from e-bay and I am sure any autoparts store can order one for you.

The Pertronix ignition kits should work with your current coil. I know that Pertronix sell high-voltage coils, but I have never tested whether or not they make a difference in power/performance when compared with conventional coils."

Back