Logo

Gamefisher 3 HP SearsSimpson Transistor

paepaesano

"Model 298-586190, 3 HP Gamefi

"Model 298-586190, 3 HP Gamefisher year not known. Got dunked and now no spark; assumed transistor bad. Went to Sears Parts and this model shows up with discontinued points. No Transistor, transistor marked TT1-??? ??? looks like E3L. Where can I get Transistor? Sears shows coil, but I don't think dunking would harm coil. What do you think?"

"I haven't looked in a whi

"I haven't looked in a while,(2 weeks) but there was a guy had those electronics for sale on ebay.
I think he had one complete, bolt on stater system for sale for $100. I may have one myself, but would have to have yours in hand to tell. anyway, Hope this helps..Those things are like finding a needle in a hay stack...Thanks...JIM"

I did a search (google&#41

I did a search (google) for Sears Gamefisher. One of the sites I hit showed 3 different manufacturers of the 3 Hp gamefisher engine. The first three digits of the model number identified mine as a Tanaka Engine even though the tag of the engine says Sears-Simpson. I went to the Tanka web site and found a local distributor who was able to get me the parts in a week. Tanaka has the "TT1 Transitor" which they call an ignitor.

i have an older sears 7 hp gam

i have an older sears 7 hp gamefisher that will run but it quit firing i think the coil went out and i took it off it has no points so if any one could let me know where to find any part i would greatly apppreciate it

"You need to post the model nu

"You need to post the model number - Sears motors were built by 4 or 5 mfs over the years - if it doesn't have points it is possibly a Chrysler or Force model, but need your number to direct you to a source for parts.."

"hey paul,
If you end up not

"hey paul,
If you end up not doing anything with that motor i would love to get my hands on it at a reasonable price. I have a good motor but need the entire driveshaft and gearbox. [email protected]"

"i have a3.0 hp gamefisher mod

"i have a3.0 hp gamefisher mod 298.5866190 ser no f072069/ does it require an oil mixture in gas tank and what ratio. i have no idea what year it is either. can you help? thank you. my email is [email protected]"

"Larry, your particular model

"Larry, your particular model was built by Tanaka. Sorry I have no further information other than that.

Tanaka was a Japanese built motor and they did sell under their own brand name as well between 1977 and 2001.

You might try a websearch for Tanaka and see what info you can dig up..."

"Larry,
I have a 298-586193,

"Larry,
I have a 298-586193, basicly the same thing. The label on top of mine says the mix is 50:1, as this is a new motor to me, I've yet to mix it this thin. I've been using a 40:1 mix til I have run it at least a couple of times. I trolled with it today for 3 hours and it did'nt miss a beat. I wish I had more info for you, but like I said it's new to me."

"I have a 3 horse gamefisher 2

"I have a 3 horse gamefisher 298-586190 and the carburator is going bad. I thought it was bad gas but I made sure the gas was clean and that the fuel to oil ratio was accurate. I also cleaned my carburator, replaced the fuel filter, and checked all of the line to see if there wa a bloackage and the motor still cuts out after running for a while. I'm wondering if I can put a larger carburator on my motor to increase it's horsepower since I'll be replacing it anyways."

"Aaron, sometimes a motor can

"Aaron, sometimes a motor can be easily altered with a few parts, other times it's quite impossible.

You always have the option of building a "Franken-Outboard". No real mechanics or science to it, simply "see what works".

Your motor was built by Tanaka. They never produced anything bigger than a 3 horse for Sears. Your power can be nicely converted "down" to a 1.5 horse, but there were no "factory" parts to make it any more powerful.

On top of that, Tanaka went out of business and parts are mighty scarce in the first place.

If I'm remembering correctly, Green Machine (also out of business) was also either associated with Tanaka or built by them, also had parts to fit these motors (at least the powerhead part), so a search for their parts may be useful as well.

Personally, I wouldn't spend much money on this motor to get her running again - small used motors are cheap with many still having great parts availability - this just isn't one of them..."

i have a 3.0 gamefisher and it

i have a 3.0 gamefisher and it ran fine one day the next day it wont start its not getting any spark and the spark plug is fine i checked it in another motor...so whats the problem

Re: "Model 298-586190, 3 HP Gamefi

"Model 298-586190, 3 HP Gamefisher year not known. Got dunked and now no spark; assumed transistor bad. Went to Sears Parts and this model shows up with discontinued points. No Transistor, transistor marked TT1-??? ??? looks like E3L. Where can I get Transistor? Sears shows coil, but I don't think dunking would harm coil. What do you think?"

I have the same model, and after a short season two years ago, it refused to start. I put it away until today, when I decided it was time to get it running. I cleaned the carb and the tank, added new fuel, checked for compression, put in a new plug, and ....nothing. No spark.
Came to this forum and found a link for parts, thinking that it might be points, or the ignitor.
messed around with the wiring harness, took the recoil head off, took off the stator casing. Found that the stator looked new, but the magnets on the flywheel were rusty. I cleaned all that up with 1200 grit wet sandpaper, put it all back together. No spark.
Took it apart and looked again at the stator. Loosened the two retaining screws, and noticed there was quite a lot of adjustment. Moved the stator closer to center, and put it all back together again. This time I had a very clean spark. Drained the filter bowl, drained the float bowl, set the choke, and gave it a shot of starting fluid. It took about four tries, but it finally started, and ran like a dream. I let it run with the throttle centered, for about 20 minutes. Revved it, dropped it to low idle, and again all good.
So, check your stator. There are no points, at least none in my motor. Serial # is
D 055151
So I suggest you try the same before you spend any money.
L.Wilson

Re: "Aaron, sometimes a motor can

"Aaron, sometimes a motor can be easily altered with a few parts, other times it's quite impossible.

You always have the option of building a "Franken-Outboard". No real mechanics or science to it, simply "see what works".

Your motor was built by Tanaka. They never produced anything bigger than a 3 horse for Sears. Your power can be nicely converted "down" to a 1.5 horse, but there were no "factory" parts to make it any more powerful.

On top of that, Tanaka went out of business and parts are mighty scarce in the first place.

If I'm remembering correctly, Green Machine (also out of business) was also either associated with Tanaka or built by them, also had parts to fit these motors (at least the powerhead part), so a search for their parts may be useful as well.

Personally, I wouldn't spend much money on this motor to get her running again - small used motors are cheap with many still having great parts availability - this just isn't one of them..."

I have a chance to buy a 1980 Johnson 4.5 Outboard. Add says it runs good and owner has manual. Are parts redily available for this Outboard? Thank you in advance for your reply. HAGD, JungleJim74

Back