Logo

Old 165

lefty

"I enjoy fixing up old boats a

"I enjoy fixing up old boats and am learning a lot. But I need help with this one. After rebuilding the engine on the old 165 inline 6 the first test at the lake went well for all of 10 minutes. Noticing problems with the guages I shut off the engine. With the engine off and the key on I had no guages or warning lights. All electrical seemed dead. As I checked things out I found a ground wire had been left of. Hooked it to the enginr block, no change. Now im a long way from shore so I tried a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil, then shorted the starter and she fired right up. I then unhooked the wire to the coil and the motor kept running. Yea! I didn't have to row home. I know so little about electrical I could really use some advice. Could it be the shift interupter switch? Thank you for your help
Thank You

Ben Lyman"

"Interupt switch would not aff

"Interupt switch would not affect the guages or warning lights if everything is wired correct. The main harness plug could have a bad connection at the engine(harness from the front controls,round plug)"

"Ben: Charli's comment on

"Ben: Charli's comment on the plug is a good one. I've had everything just stop dead in the water and all that happened was the barrell plug vibrated loose. If the plug is not corroded and is tight, then I suspect that it is a ground problem. There should be a ground post on the block where the battery ground is attached. Also there is an O/D ground and ignition ground which seem to be working since the engine ran. A main ground for the gauges in the instrument cluster feeds all the gauges and lights. It comes from the engine via the barrell plug; the large black wire. Trace it from the back of the barrell plug to its origin on the block--must be clan and tight. Some harnesses use a ground with each gauge sending wire while others get ground from the single wire at fuse block then to the dash using a series of jumpers from gauge to gauge. The gauge and its light use the same ground in many cases. I believe you are looking for a single loose, broken or corroded ground. Disconnect the battery ground at the battery. Use an ohm meter on the 1k scale and check for continuity in the harness from the fuse block to the engine block ground. It should read nearly "0" ohms. If it reads high you are looking for a corroded connection. If it reads "infinity"--you have lost the ground from the block to the dash. Need to trace it for a break, unconnected or most likely a heavily corroded connection. Old wires tend to do that and cause some strange things to happen. You can replace the ground wire connectors and while doing it, look at the stripped back wire. It should be clean copper like a new penney. If it is black or greenish-- you found your problem grounds. You can use a piece of 400 grit sand paper to clean the wire ends and install new connectors. My 87 was corroded at the connectors and I replaced the harnesses to cure it. Old corroded wires increase resistance and draw more current which generates heat in the wire to where they overheat, melt the insulation and cause a fire."

"Wow, Thanks for the tips. I

"Wow, Thanks for the tips. I have a hose clamp on the barrel plug it can't come out. I have had no time yet to troubleshoot the problem so this most recent post was very timely. Thank you I will begin searching for poor connections or bad wires on momday. By the way what is an O/D groung
Thanks

Ben Lyman"

"O/D = Out Drive The ground c

"O/D = Out Drive The ground connection is a stainless wire connecting the outdrive to the engine on the inside of the transom to complete the electrical circuit for the trim switches on the outdrive since the engine block is the ground basis for the electical system. It is there more as an insurance policy that there is always a ground circuit even though the engine and O/D are connected metal-to-metal with a variety of moving metal parts.

A hose clamp on the barrell plug could be part of your problem. The engine part of the plug is the female segment. The split pins are molded in poly/rubber designed to keep tension on the split female segment of the plug. Inserting the male part of the plug completes the connection but requires a certain amount of tension to maintain electrical continuity. If you are having to clamp the two together because they can not remain connected, then the plug has seen its useful life. The squeezing action of the clamp may actually be interfering with the plug's job by causing the pins to separate under the clamp's tension. Remove the clamp and double wrap the barrell plug with 2" wide 3M electrical tape.

Replacing the wire harnesses is relatively simple if you get the correct one. All of the wires are labled except for the large 6-8 ga. black negative (-) ground and 6-8 ga. red positive (+) primary ignition wire that attaches to the fuse buss bar or in some cases directly to the ignition switch using an in-line fuse.

I replaced mine this last July due to 19 yrs. age and corrosion. I purchased a 12 ATC fuse block that uses automotive type bayonet fuses. The main ignition fuse I replaced with an automotive 25 amp autoreset circuit breaker. All you do is connect the larger red wire to the positive post and the black ground to the negative post. Your individual circuits for lights, pumps, horn, livewells etc. can be controlled from the main fuse panel just by connecting the hot wire to the hot (+)side of the fuse box and the negative (-) to the ground pins. Then insert the correct amp fuse in the circuit. Note that the ground pins are grouped together while the hot (+) are set in a row. Most Nav. and anchor lights, blower, horn and bilge are either fused at the switch or have an automatic breaker next to each. If you replace any circuits that are not included as part of the harness, use the correct ga. and same color wire for safety and ease in trouble shooting. Most boat circuits for lights and fans use 16 ga. wire unless their amperage requires a 14 ga. Never use any color but black for negative (-) ground circuits. You'll find that PURPLE is the most common color used in positive circuits in a boat harness. Blue is the color used on gauge lights. Yellow w/red stripe is power to the ignition relay from the switch. Some wires in newer harnesses are not used. Do one wire at a time with the battery disconnected.

I like to seal the connectors with liquid electrical tape on gauges, fuel, oil pressure, engine temp sending units and other connections to lock out moisture. Use especially where the wire is crimped and you see a little bit of the copper wire--coat it to seal it. Use sparingly, you are not painting a house. For connecting two wires together, use a crimp connector that has heat shrink tubing on it.

Think of corrosion in a wire like a wick on a oil lamp. The corrosion starts at the end and wicks its way inside the insulation where it can't be seen. Starter cables are notorious for this condition due to the acid from the battery. If you see greenish corrosion on bare copper wire, it's definitely worked its way along the wire increasing the resistance of the wire.

In a salt environment, tinned wire is available but costs more. But it reduces corrosion problems."

Thank you for all your help.

Thank you for all your help. I just started taking tape off wires to get to the problem. after getting the tape off I stood up placing my hand on the circut breaker as I stood. I pushed the reset button hard and heard a click. Everything works fine now. It must have tripped when running with the groung not connected. It took an unusually hard push to reset.
Thank you

Ben Lyman

My pleasure. Great! I forgot

My pleasure. Great! I forgot the first rule in trouble shooting--check for the obvious. Power switches and tripped breakers. DUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH! You should be fine. Happy boating man!

"Hello - Looking to purchse a

"Hello - Looking to purchse a 1967 Larson 18ft All American comboard with the 160 Hp I/L 6 engine - anyone know of one for sale?

Thanks,
Maurice"

Back