Logo

1997 FORCE OUTBOARD

guss

"I WENT TO GET MY TROPHY READY

"I WENT TO GET MY TROPHY READY FOR THE SEASON ONLY TO FIND OUT MY TRIM DOESNT GO UP OR DOWN, DOESNT DO ANYTHING AT ALL. THE MOTOR ALSO IS OUT DOESNT TURN. I HAVE A GOOD BATTERY, CHECK ALL THE FUSES, IN THE CABIN AND SIDE OF MOTOR. DONT KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER HIDDEN FUSES ? CHECK THE WIRING, COULD IT BE THE SELENOID OR RELEYS ? THERE IS 12 VOLTS GOING TO THE MOTOR BUT NOT TO THE STARTER WHEN I TURN IGNITION KEY. GUYS HELP ME OUT. THANKS."

"you should have 12.5 volts at

"you should have 12.5 volts at the battery. check your ground wire, make sure it is clean and tight. on the solenoid there is a termanal from the ing. switch, a heavy wire from the battery and a heavy wire going to the starter, right? using a screw driver with a insulated handle, touch the termanal from ign. switch to the incoming power. the gear in the starter should get thrown out and spin, if it is only thrown out but doesn't spin, touch the incoming wire and the one going to the starter, the gear won't get thrown out but it should spin. if it spins the starter is good, the problem is solenoid, if it doesn't spin the problem is in the starter, if nothing happens either time the problem is dirty cable connection or weak battery. dirty and/or loose battery cable connections would be my first thought, usually is about 90% of the time."

"Could be the solenoid, could

"Could be the solenoid, could be the relays, could be a bad connection somewhere or could be a bad trim motor.

Since you have already kinda figured that yourself either you need to get ahold of a manual, pull the hood and start investigating or take her into the shop.

If your starter isn't turning over either, that could be a bad key switch, a bad battery connection, or a bad cut off switch (if equipped).

This is going to take some troubleshooting - no one here can simply pick the answer for you because it could be ANY of those things causing the issue."

CAN A BAD SELENOID CAUSE THE T

CAN A BAD SELENOID CAUSE THE TRIM AND THE CRANKING OF THE MOTOR TO GO BAD ? I CHECKED THE STARTER BY JUMPING IT AND IT SPUN. THE WIRING CHECK WAS ALL CLEAN AND TIGHT. I APPRICIATE ALL YOUR INPUT FELLAS THX.

"cranking the motor yes... tri

"cranking the motor yes... trim no... but maybe, i don't know what effect it would have on the rest of the electrical system since it controls the major draw of power, but they aren't really related other than that- did you jump the termanal on the solenoid to see if it pushed the gear on the starter out?"

"YEAH IT SPUN THE STARTER, I N

"YEAH IT SPUN THE STARTER, I NEED TO GO BACK AND MAKE SURE IT PUSHES THE GEAR ON THE STARTER I GUESS. I HAVENT HAD THE CHANCE TO WORK ON IT ( NO DAYS OF FROM WORK ! LOL). THX GEORGE, YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP AND I WILL GET BACK WITH THE RESULTS AS SOON AS I CAN ."

"I THINK IT MAYBE THE SELENOID

"I THINK IT MAYBE THE SELENOID, I DO HAVE WIRES FROM THE SELENOID THAT LEAD TO THE RELAY SWITCHES WHICH I BELIEVE CONTROL THE ELECTRICITY TO THE TRIM. I WILL GET BACK WITH YOU ON THE RESULTS THX."

"ONE MORE QUESTION ! IM ALSO H

"ONE MORE QUESTION ! IM ALSO HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE STEERING, I LUBED THE STEERING BAR, ROD ? BUT THE MOTOR TENDS TO GET STUCK AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF NON MOVEMENT. HOW COULD I RESOLVE THIS COULD IT BE THAT I NEED TO USE ANOTHER TYPE OF GREASE ? IM USING THE MARINE GREASE WHICH I WAS TOLD TO USE FROM THE BOAT SHOP. P.S I ALSO MADE SURE I PUMPED ENOUGH GREASE TIL IT CAME OUT OVERFLOW EXCESS. THX FELLAS !"

"the steering cable becomes a

"the steering cable becomes a rod where it goes through the tilt tube, the old grease in the tilt tube gets hard along with the corrosion and rust on the tilt tube will make these freeze up. pretty soon you will not be able to get it unstuck and will have to destroy it to get it out and then have to replace the cable. what i do, while it is still moveable and workable is pull the cable and get the rod out of the tilt tube, clean all the grease and crud out of it, take a cylinder hone and clean up the tilt tube, get rid of any rust etc.with that, then put it back together with a good amount of grease. but do it soon because it won't be long before it will be to late. when they freeze up they are real hard to get apart."

If you haven't figured out

If you haven't figured out the problem yet I had a similar issue with my boat. I was rushing to get into the water and forgot to hook up both plugs to the battery. Look around for that second wire that goes to your battery.

Back