Logo

Evinrude 99 1979 cooling

gkm24

Regular Contributor
"After replaceing the thermost

"After replaceing the thermostat I just need to check with you that the cooling system is working corectly. When I start up a good jet of water comes out the tell tale hole. The water is cold but after a minute or 2 the water stream is fast running cold which then slows a little and becomes warm, then back to cold and continues to surge like this. I checked all over the block and head with a thermal probe and the max temp after a fast run is 68 degrees C. I also checked compression which is 150 in each cylinder just for info as I thought the head gasket may have gone but it turned out to be loads of dirt in the fuel. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Graham."

"The pressure change in the te

"The pressure change in the tell tale has to do with the operating of the thermostat. When 'strong' the thermostat is closed, when somewhat weakened it is opends. If the tell tale next to disaapear when thermostat opends it is time to change the impeller!!!!(at low rpm)"

Thanks for that. Water flow is

Thanks for that. Water flow is fine but it just is not as powerful and fast flowing as when the thermostat opens. I feel better for your knowledge.

I have a 1989 Johnson 9.9 with

I have a 1989 Johnson 9.9 with a cooling hicup I"ve checked the thermostat and it working fine and replaced the impeler and still no water flow .I can get an air flow from the pickup to the outlet so thats clear.Even with the thermostat out when I run it nothing. Any ideas would be a great help.

Back