Logo

74 mercrusier starter how do i remove it

G

gary colonna

"i looked real hard for these

"i looked real hard for these bolts it's so tight in there and am not sore where these bolts are , at the end towards the stern it looks much bigger and i did see one small bracket screw"

"I have straight inboards 7.4&

"I have straight inboards 7.4's, two fasteners one is difficult next to the transmission the other on the outside easier. Make sure you turn off the Battery switch before removing the RED CABLE."

Depending on what starter you

Depending on what starter you have there is 2 bolt patterns. Both use 2 bolts for holding the starter on the block at the point nearest the rear of the engine. One type has the bolts next to each other & the other is offset. If you have the offset model the bolt closer to the side of the block will be about 1 inch back.(towards front)
The block should be machined for either type if you can't locate the same one you have.
Both need a 9/16 wrench to remove.
There could also be a bracket on the back side of the starter that goes to the block for supporting the rear of the starter. Most times this is held on with a bold needing a 7/16 wrench to remove.
There should be 2 main terminals with wires on the solenoid but it could have 3 depending again on the model. If there are just 2 being used one is a 5/8 nut(the main battery terminal) and the other is an 11/32(wire from key start position).
If there is 3 being used the other is a 5/16 nut(wire to ignition if there).
This sounds like a hard one to get at so take care not to damage the smaller wires. Do not let the starter hang by these wires.

"I feel your pain. I have don

"I feel your pain. I have done this job twice and tell everybody that you need 3 elbows to get in there. If you think removing it is hard, you are in for a real nightmare when it comes to putting it back in. Do yourself a favor and get a gear reduction starter to replace your original. They are 1/2 the size, weigh 1/3 as much, and will start the engine with a lot less battery power than those 35lb GM monsters."

Back