Logo

283 chevy in place of omc

K

Keenan Walsh

I am thinking of putting a 283

I am thinking of putting a 283 small block chevy engine in a chris craft that had the 5.7l omc. Can anybody tell me what manifolds and outdrive I would need to make it work? also would I have to change the oil pan??? I do not have the outdrive that went with the omc but do have the gimbel and housing on the transom now.

a guy told me omc engines are

a guy told me omc engines are junk and I would be better off putting in a chevy small block in it. What would you recommend?

If you had a 5.7 GM engine in

If you had a 5.7 GM engine in the boat it was a chevy. I'd check and see just how much your friend really knows about boats before taking anything he says as fact. The 283 is just an old small block chevy. The 5.7 is the chevy 350.
There is no reason to replace a 350 with an old 283.

"I'm not a boat mechanic,

"I'm not a boat mechanic, but I have sure worked on a lot of cars and boats with V8 engines -
What Charli says is true.

And be SURE that whatever engine you put in is marinized, not straight out of an automotive application."

"And a 283 has smaller main be

"And a 283 has smaller main bearings than a 350, and is consequently weaker. Broken cranks were common in small journal engines in cars, and boats see much rougher service and crank strain from the higher operating rpms."

Back