Logo

Honda 8hp idle problem

ezlivin

"Hey all new to the board. I&

"Hey all new to the board. I've got a 8hp Honda ('86 model) that wont idle without the choke.

Every year this has happend its always been the carb. I've tried running the gas out, running the gas out with stabil., and leaving the gas in with stabil and every year its the same problem.

My question is two fold, is there anything else I can try to resolve this, getting tired of having to get the carb cleaned every year. Secondly, are there any how-to's on how to clean out the carb, I've done quite a bit of maintenance on my vehicles but nothing on the boat motor besides changing oil.

Thanks for the help!"

"Have you tried turning the mi

"Have you tried turning the mixture clockwise to lean out the fuel at idle? In lieu of that working, Removing and doing a good cleaning is really not that difficult. Just lay the parts out in order of disassembly , clean each part, and then reassemble.
Pay close attention to the air/fuel mixture screw setting. Count the turns it takes to bottom the screw into the carb. A good blast of carb cleaner in each and every orifice. I have been able to do this with out changing any gaskets, by being very care on the disassembly. If you really want to do good job of cleaning, get yourself a "Sonic" cleaner from Harbor Freight."

The orfaces on these small Hon

The orfaces on these small Hondas are soo tiney that the smallest speck will restrick or plug it. The only solution I found with mine is to take it apart and clean it. I find this a small price to pay for the economy of these Hondas. I have had mine for years and this is all I`v had to do for a perfict running engine.

When you "run it out"

When you "run it out" do you pull the choke to vacuum the last of the fuel out? Also get a fuel connector with out a hose one it to let air in the system. This will let the system run all the fuel out before it quits.

You don't leave the tank connected over winter do you?

Had the same trouble with my 2

Had the same trouble with my 2001 BF8D. Took apart the carb and found the jet nozzle plugged up with a hard residue which I attribute to the ethanol fuel I have to use. Same thing with my 2.5 HP Yamaha. Had to take apart the carb and clean.
Will Sta-Bil for ethanol work when storing the engines?

"I would think this residue fo

"I would think this residue forms when the remaining fuel in your carb evaporates each time it is used, acumulating each time. If you ran it completly dry each time it was put away for long enough to evaporate, this may help."

Back