Logo

Volvo 280 Outdrive Power Tilt Broken

theesir

"It stinks that my first post

"It stinks that my first post has to be a request for assistance, but here it goes.
I just bought a new (to me) 86 Bayliner with a Volvo Penta 225D engine and a Volvo Penta 280 outdrive.
It has power tilt only.
Yesterday I lowered the drive and took a ride. When I got back to the dock I could not raise the lower unit. When I move the toggle swith to the up position, the motor runs, but the lower unit does not move. If I move the toggle to the down position. It make a quick noise and then falls silent.
Is it possible I didn't lower the drive all the way (I thought I did), and if so would I have been able to run.
Any help/advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks."

"Sounds like the worm gear or

"Sounds like the worm gear or other internal parts may be worn or damaged.

When you mention that after moving the toggle switch to the down position it makes a quick noide and then falls silent, that sounds like the "down" relay is being energized, but the motor will not run as the limiter switch is telling the motor that the outdrive is on its full "down" position.

Regarding your last question, two indications that you had lowered the drive all the way down would be that the indicator light would be off, and that when you turn the toggle switch to "down" the electric motor would not run. However, if you ran your engine with the tilt mechanism not completely down, the gears are probably toasted.

It sounds to me that it is time to take the tilt mechanism apart and inspect it internally. If you have the Seloc manual, it explains how to do it in chapter 9 (chapter 16 in Clymer's)."

"Ugg! Red light did not turn o

"Ugg! Red light did not turn off yesterday.

Is the tilt mechanism is the engine area or on the outdrive itself?

I'm trying to figure out how I will get the boat out of the water with the outdrive down, if it can't be repaired in the water."

"The tilt mechanism is attache

"The tilt mechanism is attached to the transom shield (port side) inside the engine compartment. You only have to disconnect the wiring and remove two allen screws to pull it out.

Make sure you have either the Seloc or Clymer's manual at hand when you service it, just in case you drop one bit and then don't remember where it goes
wink.gif
"

"You can pull up the leg manua

"You can pull up the leg manually, disengage the latch and pull it up by hand, use a rope or such to hold it up."

Back