PDA

View Full Version : MD6A Oil exiting from Exhaust

dolphin
04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
"Having a bit of a problem with a Volvo Penta MD 6A engine, installed in my yacht.

The engine will idle ok, up to 3200rpm, exhaust emissions are clear / normal.

When in gear and under load, the engine reaches a maximum 16oo rpm, 3 knots, with deposits of oil exiting from the exhaust.

Normal performance of the engine would comfortably be 3000 rpm giving 6 knots.

Fuel & filter, air filter, oil & filter, injectors, cylinder head gasket have all been replaced. The valves have also been re-ground and engine re-assembled.

The problem still persists. Engine is 35yrs old and has been regularly maintained over the years.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms with their engines any advice would be appreciated."

Draco
10-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi Dolphin,

Did you ever come to any conclusion re your problem.

I have exactly the same issue. She revs upto 2600 in nuetral but under load I get 1700 rpm and when on full belt, oil splogges from the exhaust (at quiet a notable rate). If I throttle back to say 1200rpm it is OK. Also I sometimes get a nasty knocking from the engine as though it does not have enough oil. The oil level is however OK. This seems to start if I have the engine idling but on a sail tack. It then will go as quick as it came!

I suspected that it may be a head gasket in that a small break might be letting the oil seep out under high pressure and also may occasionally be letting water in and hence the occasional knocking. I am a little worried that you have replaced all the obvious things and it still does it.

Coincidence that we have the same issue.

Chris (alias Draco)