View Full Version : MD11C water pump fittings

04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
My MD11C has a replacement Volvo water pump #858065 that uses input and output fittings that look like sweat fittings. They are not 3/8 threads or any threads for that matter. Does anyone know what they are and more important where I can get them?? I need a 90 and straight that both go to a 5/8 barb.

04-19-2009, 11:08 PM
"There is tubing associated with these. I am not on my boat and all the tubing is running aorund in my brain, but these tubes lead to either the engine block or the heat exchanger or the thermostat. Without looking at mine I cannot reaffirm for sure. The tubes have little flanges on them to secure little black bushings against the female side of the joint to prevent leaks. I'm also assuming, I don't have the part number, that you have the water pump for the Volvo installed heat exchanger. I'm surprised that you have something in your hands that leaves you so in doubt after you must have taken it off. What did you or somebody else do with the tubes.
Another option is that you have a heat exchanger kit that uses a different water pump assy. Is your heat exchanger maounted directly on the engine or is it hanging on a bulkhead with rubber hosing going to the engine?"

04-19-2009, 11:10 PM
"Looking back at your post, you mention barbs, so I think you have a retrofitted heat exchanger kit. If you can makeout the brand of kit there is a company in Florida that used to make these and they came up in the posts recently. They might have the correct pump for you not requiring adapter fittings."

04-20-2009, 08:34 AM
"The hose fittings are 829901 from Volvo. They are only straight, no 90 degree. You also need lock brackets 840194 & 840200 along with seal rings 418411."

04-20-2009, 09:00 AM
"Richard, what are the lock brackets? What do they do?"

04-21-2009, 08:35 AM
"They use screws on cover to hold slip in barbs into pump sockets. Without them, water pressure could force barbs out of sockets."

04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
"I guess this just shows the range of things out there.
By barbs I ususally think of connections to flexible tubing, not ridgid sockets. On my MD11C it is the pump itself that holds the tubing in place against the block inlets. As you snug up the pump mounting bolts the tubing is pressured in against the bushings. You called them seal rings, but I wonder since you have locking brackets whether your seal rings are the same as what I have."

04-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Joe if you have the pump with the solid outlet tube that fits into a pump socket fitting threaded into pump. The socket pump you got is not going to work. You need to get the same pump but threaded ports from Johnson pumps. Pump # is 10-35157-3

04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
"Richard, thanks but you must be confusing me with some of the others. My install is fine and I was just trying to help the others with their install. Mine works. I've dismantled the water pump twice. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean by sockets. I assumed you meant a female fitting for the tubing with black bushings held in place by flanges on the tubing,No screws or brackets."

04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
"Sorry Joe got mixed up also. Was talking about black seal rings on another application. Again,my mistake."

04-22-2009, 06:03 PM
"I thought I posted this earlier but again thank you for all the pump specific information. I had a core from a Johnson pump #10-32412-2 which is obsolete and replaced buy #10-35157-4. I could get seals,impeller,gasket and O-ring such that I could kit the pump. That done I think I'm back in business. Again thanks to all help and information.