Logo

Alpha1 gen2 knocking from top of drive

spike2450

been chasing a knocking noise

been chasing a knocking noise from the drive and i'm now sure that it is coming from the top of the drive it happens mainly in reverse gear and doesn't happen in neutral boat running on a hose. What options do I have ìs it terminal or accepted wear and tear all help appreciated. Update happens in both gears and not in neutral and is more of a knocking noise from the top of the drive area. would it be possible to use it this year. Any help appreciated

"[b]"would it be possible

""would it be possible to use it this year."

Ayuh,... As long as you don't mind a possible Catastrophic Failure...
And,...
It'll be expotentially More Expensive to Fix, the longer you let it go..."

"knocking in the upper has not

"knocking in the upper has nothing to do with shifting, all the gears turn regardless of gear selection.Could it be the U joints or gimbal bearing."

whats the lube look like ? any

whats the lube look like ? any metal on the drain plugs ? When was the last time the u-joints were checked.(best case)

"Hi
Just re-installed the dri

"Hi
Just re-installed the drive after winter break, there was one small sliver on the drain plug magnet.
Gimbal bearing is running smooth and it has had a fresh fill with high performance lube, u joints looked ok, can't understand why i only get knocking when in gear and not in neutral,

Thanks for help"

"drain the oil , take the 4 bo

"drain the oil , take the 4 bolts out from the top cap and look inside for a missing tooth.Is there any impact history you`d care to share over the past 2 years?
Please define: "The U joints looked good""

"I'll drain the oil and ta

"I'll drain the oil and take a peek, the u joints looked immaculate and clean didn't really check for any play in the bearings.
No impact history and she ran fine last year including pre winterizing when she ran faultless on the hose with no knocking.
Seems to be after instalation this year, is there anything that i could have done wrong when installing the drive?
Thanks for your time.
happy.gif
"

Did you replace the gimbal bea

Did you replace the gimbal bearing? It may not be seated far enough but this mostly shows up turning the outdrive.

"Hi
Checked the bearing befor

"Hi
Checked the bearing before install and it felt really smooth and still really well greased, i haven't tried turning the outdrive as i've been running her straight.
I'm going to drop the drive check the u joints and open the top of the drive to check the teeth, if all seems ok i'll reinstall and try again.
Could it be caused from a badly adjusted gear mechanism housing on the riser as i have been chasing the error as when i first put her on she wouldn't go fully into reverse?
Knocking is definitely from the top housing area!"

Back