Logo

1986 Mercruiser 37L 170 Wonbt start

hunter864

"Hello,
I have a 1986 Mercrui

"Hello,
I have a 1986 Mercruiser 3.7L 170 that will not start. Boat ran fine last summer right up until it was winterized. The engine turns over but will not start. I replaced the points and condenser last summer. I replaced the coil today but it still will not start. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else to look for?
Thanks in advance for any help
Jim"

"Ayuh,... Fire, Fuel, Compres

"Ayuh,... Fire, Fuel, Compression, at the Right Time...

You're Missing 1 of the 4....
You've got to Look,+ See which is Missing..."

"Try a little starting fluid.

"Try a little starting fluid. If you get a response then you know it's a lack of fuel problem. If it is a fule issue then start working your way back starting at the carb, carb filter, pump, filter, anti-siphon valve, etc.

Mine took a long time to get started this year because the entire fuel system had to be filled up. Including a water/fule seperator filter. I also took out the one way anti-siphon valves because they kept getting stuck. That has something to do with it too. Let us know what you find out."

"Problem resolved!
I sequenti

"Problem resolved!
I sequentially replaced the following items, checking for spark after each part:
Coil - no spark
Condensor - no spark
Distributor cap and rotor - Spark!
I did not think to try the cap and rotor since these were replaced at the start of last season. After the cap and rotor replacement the engine started right up.
Thank you to everyone for the help.
Jim"

"Carb cleaner or fuel in a spr

"Carb cleaner or fuel in a spray bottle works great to. just no spraying while cranking or running, very risky."

Back