Logo

43l power loss

dessie

"Hi from sunny Scotland, my 19

"Hi from sunny Scotland, my 1990 4.3l has developed a strange problem. After about 30mins running the engine will lose power and drop off the plane. It will idle smoothly and rev to about 2800 rpm no problem. If I switch off and leave it for about 20-30 mins it will run perfectly again for about another 30 mins. Whist at the dock last time I met a guy who was sitting there with the exact same fault! Is this a known problem? The engine was serviced before winter and water separating / carb fuel filters were changed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated"

Since two boaters are having t

Since two boaters are having the same problem perhaps you have purchased some bad fuel. Empty the contents of the fuel/water separator into a glass jar and see if water settles to the bottom. If it is a fuel/water issue you'll need to get some water dispersant.

and to add to what guy is sayi

and to add to what guy is saying if indeed this is the problem id be contacting your fuel suplier

"Thanks for the prompt replies

"Thanks for the prompt replies. I will check the filter, although I trailer my boat to the loch and the other guy keeps his on site so we probably use different suppliers for fuel.
I have checked the vent when I had a slight fuel smell, which turned out to be a loose hose clip on the filler tube, and it was clear.
I have since read that there is another filter in the fuel pump which I have not changed, could this be the fault?"

"definately, the filter you ha

"definately, the filter you have is probably the original ceramic type, now they use a paper filter. the ceramic one dissentigrates. and causes clogging, you should also check the fuel filter in the carb ( where the line goes in )"

"I have now checked the water

"I have now checked the water separating filter and it is ok. I'll check / change the pump filter asap but its dark here now and back to work tomorrow, thanks again."

"Hi, I have now checked the fi

"Hi, I have now checked the filter at the carb inlet and it was clean and the ceramic filter in the pump was in good condition, but I will change it when my dealer gets the new type in.
Tried the boat on the loch and it started really well but started to surge when under power, NEW problem! After a 20min stop at one the local islands it ran well going back to the slipway.
I have checked the plugs and they were starting to foul with dry soot.
I was wondering if the carb was needing rebuilt.
Any suggestions, guys?"

"Hi, due to work commitments h

"Hi, due to work commitments have been unable to look at the boat for ages. I had a chance to take it for a run today and it is still losing power after about 1/2 an hour but is now backfiring / popping just as it loses power. Does this point to anything in particular. Suggestions welcome."

Back