Logo

Deck Coatings

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
"Folks, this isn't related to engines, but I'm looking for some advice. For the last 3 years I've been using Z-Spar to paint the fiberglas deck of my C-Hawk fishing boat. I just doesn't hold up to the rigors of heavy duty fishing from April into November - gets stained easily and chips a good bit. Any suggestions on what to try next - I'm looking for something that is non-slip, yet smooth enough that a quick deck scrub and wash down will clean it up nicely."

"Probably your best choice wou

"Probably your best choice would be Awlgrip by U.S. Paint. www.awlgrip.com. Their site should have all the info you need.
Interlux "Perfection" would be another good choice and probably more readily available.

Sand the area to be painted,and mask it off, two coats of a primer would be best. Let it dry. Sand primer. Add some non-skid powder (fine or coarse)to the first coat of paint. Not too much otherwise it will clump up when you roll it on. Roll the second coat on without the non-skid to protect the first coat and give you a "wear layer". This should get you quite a few years of protection. They also have a flattening agent if you don't want a hi-gloss finish.
Good luck.
C."

That AWLGrip is some pretty to

That AWLGrip is some pretty tough stuff. Two points to remember - read all of the directions (they may be confusing but are essential to getting the desired end state) and Follow the final set of directions. That paint isn't cheap but has amazing durability if applied properly.

"Like he said<[img]"http://www

"Like he said
triangle_up.gif
triangle_up.gif
"

"Guys - appreciate the knowled

"Guys - appreciate the knowledgeable input and recommendations. Closest AWLgrip dealer is quite a ways off, but will call and see if they can ship. I down-loaded the directions for testing to see if it will work on my deck surface. I'll start that process this week - at least the first two steps. Hope I don't have to strip it down to the fiberglas - that would be a serious pain."

Back