Logo

Alpha 1 R Lower Unit

a1nowell

Contributing Member
"I have my lower unit apart an

"I have my lower unit apart and installing new seals and waterpump. My question is about the shift shaft movement. It is my understanding the when the s/s is at 12:00 it is in neutral, at about 1:00 is forward and at about 11:00 is reverse. Is this correct? Is the actual movement of the s/s as much as one might imagine in a 11, 12, and 1 o'clock positions? Mine does not seem to move that much, more like 11:50, 12, and 12:10."

"looking at the splined shaft

"looking at the splined shaft and turning it fully clockwise while turning the prop shaft couonterclockwise if FWD, when you drop the upper you line the shoe in a straight line.
12:00 FWD
11:00 N
10:00 REV"

"Thanks BT Doctur
I don't

"Thanks BT Doctur
I don't know where I came up with 11, 12 & 1. It's together amd shifts at 12, 11 & 10ish."

"I need a little experienced g

"I need a little experienced guidance. I have the lower and upper units together and on the boat. In the driveway and not running and shifting with the control box I can find forward, neutral but I cannot get it to go into reverse. If I get underneath the outdrive I can push the shift lever with a screw driver and it will go into reverse. The distance the shift lever moves is less than 1/8th of an inch. There is no oil in the outdrive yet and I have not messed with any of the shift cables. Do I need to adjust the shift cables?"

"[b]"did it not work befor

""did it not work before ?"

Ayuh,... It still should...

Did you Hold everything in Forward gear during disassembly,+ Reassembly,..??
Did you try shifting at the shift plate,..??
Hand shifting the Lower Cable,..??"

Back