Logo

2002 Tohatsu 5hp 4 stroke

michael_l

"This engine has very low hour

"This engine has very low hours on it has been extremely reliable. Though the hours are low, I figured I was due for an impeller because it has been several seasons. The service manual spelled the procedure out and it came apart cleanly and a new impeller, wear plate, liner and gaskets were installed. Re-installtion of the lower unit is the snag. The unit is in reverse and the shift rod engaged in the rod joint clamp.I have tried for what seems like hours and it appears that the splines of the drive shaft won't slide all the way up. Is there a secret to this or simply keep adjusting the drive shaft slightly until it meshes up?"

"Its a "done by feel"

"Its a "done by feel" thing. It sounds like you have the procedure down, but you have to feel the drive shaft into the crankshaft. Try turning the flywheel or propeller a little. It can take anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes to get one to line up."

Thanks Guru. That is what I ex

Thanks Guru. That is what I expected though I figured I'd ask in case there was some trick of the trade. Off to go feel my motor!

Back