Logo

1980 37 flywheel

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"Was wondering if you can swit

"Was wondering if you can switch to a flexplate, instead of the heavy flywheel, on the 470 motor? I figured less rotating weight, higher rpm's. Or is that defeating it's purpose?"

Why would you want to go highe

Why would you want to go higher than the red-line limit? I believe it's 4800RPMs. You're asking for trouble above that.

"What i meant was, would i get

"What i meant was, would i get quicker throttle response, or a couple more hp's out of it? I know with a car motor you will, but wasn't sure about a boat."

"You would not notice the diff

"You would not notice the difference. Ran many rigs w/wo power steering pump, alternator, no difference. And especially on an inline 4 the weight helps smooth out the rough idle shakes inherent in that type engine."

"You wont gain any HP or Torqu

"You wont gain any HP or Torque and it would rev quicker.

But it's not a good idea because the flywheel on boats also do what the name says, and helps the engine to maintain speed easier, and dampen the changes in engine load. Once you get the flywheel moving its easier to keep moving and requires less energy. This energy also helps the engine to maintain its speed under changes in load.

If you went with a flex-plate the engine will rev quicker(maybe noticeable) but will be less efficient and will require more fuel to maintain speed and changes in load.

Its not worth the change, a 1.8L-3.XL Engine in a light <3500lb Car, yea..

Look at changing from a 2bbl to a 4bbl carb, better heads, different cam (make sure it's designed for marine use, non-can cause the engine to ingest water-bad)"

Re-propping would be your bigg

Re-propping would be your biggest improvement. Go with a four blade SS with a different pitch. Search the subject along with '470' there are lots of posts on the same subject.

the rpm's on that motor is

the rpm's on that motor is 3800-4200 and were talking about a 470 they are fragile just be carefull not to over rev that by to much my ss prop gets me out of the hole quick but it also puts me at 4500 rpm at wot so i back the throttle down just a tad . id hate to think about trying to afford a repower of my 470

Back