Logo

Exhaust hose overheat

lagerstrom

"I have a 83 wellcraft with tw

"I have a 83 wellcraft with twin 350cid chevy mercruiser v drives. Recently the fresh water pump impeller failed on one engine so I replaced the impellers on both engines. I was able to find all of the impeller pieces in the system.I found the problem right away, and I don't think that the engine overheated.

I replaced the rubber exhaust hoses on only one side of each engine because they were brittle, and used the 3" exhaust hose without the wire inside. My problem is that after running the engines for a couple of hours, the hoses are still smelling burnt rubber, and they are hot to the touch but only in certain small areas. The other hoses in my exhaust system seem to be running only warm to the touch. The engines temperature is normal, and I have a good stream of water coming out of the transom exhaust. Do I have a riser/pump problem, and should I continue to run the engines? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Bob"

Thanks for the reply. I'm

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to the lake today. Can the risers be salvaged? Can I run the engines without doing furthur damage? Thanks Bob

Take them to a radiator shop a

Take them to a radiator shop along w/the exhaust manifolds and have them boiled.

"I took your advice on the clo

"I took your advice on the clogged risers, and removed and cleaned them and pressure washed both of them. It worked,and their both running cool now. I appreciate your help. Thanks Bob"

Back