Logo

Shift cable

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"can anyone tell me how hard i

"can anyone tell me how hard it is to change a shift cable for a mercruiser V8,the one from the motor to the outdrive.

I changed my trim limit switch and sending unit and the round part in the limit switch does not move (the part that kills power when its up to far)when I trim up or down,I checked everything and can't find the problem.any ideas.thanks"

"Exactly what is the problem?

"Exactly what is the problem?
shift cable: remove drive unhook cable inside the boat, unthread support tube, pull slider and cable out from the rear, cut old casing between gimbal and transom, unscrew remaining section, remove old boot,
Install new boot, install cable, attach inside the boat, 2 hrs maybe"

"Thanks for the shift cable.

"Thanks for the shift cable.

the limit switch will not work I put a new sending unit and limit switch,the sending unit works sometimes and the limit does not work at all. To me the part that suppose to move inside the outdrive (sorry don't know the name)but it does not move so the limit switch will not move,I think that maybe the problem and to me it seems like that is the reason the sending unit does not work sometimes to. The part is on the side of the outdrive were the round parts in both things go into.thanks"

That part is called a "hin

That part is called a "hinge pin" and should accept a 1/2 inch allen wrench.the splines in the pin mate with the center part of the limit switch.
see if the splines got rounded off somehow by using a allen to check the fit.

"I looked at the switch and th

"I looked at the switch and there is a couple of little nipples off of it,they line up good with the hinge pin on the out drive but still does not move if i trim up or down."

Back