Logo

Alpha 1 sterndrive

"I have an alpha 1 sterndrive

"I have an alpha 1 sterndrive 1988, when I connect the muffs and turn the water on I have water spurting out of the drain hole on the bottom of the lower unit. Could I have a crack in the water tube giong to the upper or?"

Some water coming out of that

Some water coming out of that drain hole with the muffs on is normal. Water squirting out with alot of pressure upon acceralation could indicate a problem. Always look for a oily film with that water indicating a leaking oil seal.

Thanks Alpha SS. I just put al

Thanks Alpha SS. I just put all new seals in last year so i don't thaink I'll have a problem with that for a while.

"New to Alpha one stern drives

"New to Alpha one stern drives. Need some info on its actual operation. I am ready to test it, but want to know if there is anything specific about lowering and raising the drive?"

glenn:

You can get an owner

glenn:

You can get an owner's manual for the year of the boat's engine/OD from eBay. Also Merc. service manuals for both.

Trailer in full up position w/a drive support. Store in down position. NEVER run the engine w/o a water supply to the OD or the OD rubber water pump impeller will fry. Change it whenever the engine temp. rises above the T'stat temp. when idling or 1-3 years.

Check the oil level at the port vent screw at the top of the OD. Oil must be at the bottom of the vent hole for the upper gears to get lubrication. Drain from the port side of the bottom front of the nose. Fill from the bottom until oil comes out the vent hole; insert vent screw first w/new seal then the drain screw. Stick w/Merc. OD oil or equal.

Start w/OD in full down position. When on plane the OD can be raised a few degrees to increase RPMs in relation to more speed. DO NOT raise it to where the OD is not cutting water or the engine will OVER REV.

i have a 1991 alpa 1 . I have

i have a 1991 alpa 1 . I have taken the stern drive of to grease the u joint . How can i tell if the gimble bearing is good or bad?

"stick your hand in there and

"stick your hand in there and turn it, should be silky smooth.Any roughness, replace it."

"also dont forget, if it doesn

"also dont forget, if it doesnt slide back in silky smoth you need "the probe" and an adjustment to your engine mounts."

Back