Logo

Throttle control

draven620

Regular Contributor
I have a 1985 16ft sea ray sev

I have a 1985 16ft sea ray seville and i cant seem to find a way to give it gas in neutral.The handle does not pull out and go forward and if i push the button in and pull the handle forward or backward the neutral safety switch kicks in and then it will not turn over any ideas.There has to be someway to give it gas in neutral i just cant figure it out.

"[b]"if i push the button

""if i push the button in and pull the handle forward or backward the neutral safety switch kicks in and then it will not turn over any ideas."

Ayuh,... Sounds like your Controller is AFUp...
Take it apart,.. Maybe you can Fix it...
If Not,.. Replace it..."

"If you push the button and mo

"If you push the button and move the lever and it wont start, it's as Bondo Says, broken. The neutral Safety should be dissengaged. Sometimes you have to 'jiggle' the handle a little into the right position when pressing the button."

ik i will check and try that b

ik i will check and try that but i do know that in neutral the boat will run but to engage forward or backwards the button has to be pushed in to take it out of neutral.And then i can rev it up but it is engaged in forward.So i should be able to push the button in and it will rev it up without engaging forward or reverse.I just want to make sure i am understanding correctly.

"Yes, you should be able to pu

"Yes, you should be able to push the button in (depending on the control) Some Controls require you to Pull the Handle OUT, Older controls may require you to pull the button out. It Depends on the type of shifter.

With the Shifter in neutral you should be able to start the engine with the throttle/shift lever in any position and the prop should not spin like in full forware/reverse. there will typically be some friction in the gears that can cause the prop to spin and could hurt so still be careful."

mike do you have the controler

mike do you have the controler that ha from top to bottom there is a toggle type switch then a square trailor botton then at the bottom another button the same size as th trailor button?

there is nothing on top of the

there is nothing on top of the shifter there is a up and down switch on one end of the handle and a tilt and trim on the other end and a push button underneath.

the lower one if you push it i

the lower one if you push it in then move the throttle foward you should be able to rev the motor

well when i push the button in

well when i push the button in there is a piece af plastic that lifts up on the inner part of the lever and it lifts it out of a groove and then if i move it forward a bout a 1/2 inch there is another groove it locks into and then if i push the button in again it is engaged so i am wondering if it just dosent have a throttle control and the handle does not pull out the name on the handle is a morris i think or something that starts with a m i would have to check for sure but i am almost positive it is a morris.

i may be wrong but i dont beli

i may be wrong but i dont believe you have just a forward and a reverse handle there almost has to be IMO a way to rev the motor from that control

The controller should have two

The controller should have two yellow w/red stripe wires teat go to/from the neutral safety switch. Use a "quick clip" to short them together w/the shifter in neutral. If the starter engages then the switch is dead. It can be replaced but takes a little skill installing it correctly. I rebuilt mine and replaced the switch TWICE! It is available from some Merc. dealers. You'll need the part number. What year boat and what controller do you have? SELOC manuals show how to do a 2000 model.

"The button at the top is only

"The button at the top is only for forward/neutral/reverse interlock and has nothing to do with putting the shifter into neutral, I think your handle is the one that pulls OUT, I'm very very sure it is. So Grab the handle at the bottom pivoting point, pull up on the top button, then move the handle forward, you will then be in neutral. If you can watch the shifter at the engine at the same time, you'll be sure."

Back