Logo

MERCRUISER 74L MPFI NON START ISSUE

allious

"there are alot of "will n

"there are alot of "will not crank" topics on this board but this may be a tad different. i have a 7.4l mercruiser mpi in my 1998 baja hammer. the boat has been sitting up for sometime. we had to replace the starter and it starts right up. so we have the guys in my detail shop clean up the boat. i walk back there at some point and i hear the engine spinning over but not cranking. i go over there and they said that it had been doing that for a while after they started getting things wet. the switch was off but it was spining over. it didnt do it anymore after that,but it sounded like the battery was running low. i went to crank it today and nothing at all. nothing at all when i turn the switch on, no gauges, no turn over nothing, even with jumper cables on. i just blew out my knee, so i'm having trouble moving around. i looked for a circuit breaker on the engine, but couldn't see it. where should i begin and what should my checklist for diagnostics be?"

"may have destroyed the soleno

"may have destroyed the solenoid where the battery cables attach ,from the hi current of a continously running starter motor."

how long ago since this happen

how long ago since this happend? sounds to me like they got the circut board wet and it took a mind of its own. since your knee is all bumed up give it time to dry out a bit but like bt said since the solenoid ran for such a long time it probably cooked it but maybe not. have you checked your voltage on your battery?

"update: found the problem. o

"update: found the problem. on my baja hammer the wiring harness runs into a compartment behind the gauge cluster. there are no drain holes in this compartment so whenever water could get in there, it would just stay, so my big wiring harness, was just laying in about 3 inches of water and was corroded up badly. just wanted to give some closure to this topic. thanks for all the help"

Thank You for the followup Tim

Thank You for the followup Tim. All to often we see questions but never the results. Good Job! Al W.

Back