Logo

Tohatsu 90B Tldi prop question

stingraymax

"Hi,

I just went out to hav

"Hi,

I just went out to have a quick try of my new (second hand) engine and have a question for the pro's concerning the correct prop.
The engine is on a 17ft RIB and I alway's use it on the sea.
Now with 2 people on board I got something of a 5200-5300 rpm with a Michigan Vortex VTX 13 1/4 x 17 prop on there. I haven't tried too much with trimming the engine, but the needle of the trim meter was just on the first line above neutral ( middle horizontal line)
Is this the correct prop for me or should I look for a smaller pitch prop to get closer to the max rpm ?? Or what prop should I look at ?
Thanks in advance,"

There is no "right" pr

There is no "right" prop as such. Propeller selection has a fairly wide slop zone and your in that zone. You could go to a lower pitch prop for water ski use or stay where you are.

"The hole shot of the current

"The hole shot of the current prop isn't that great, is there a model of prop that is recomenden for better "up and go" ?

Also what is the biggest diameter of prop that I can fit/use on this engine ?

Thanks for the help"

Diameter is unimportant as you

Diameter is unimportant as you choose propellers based on pitch and do not have a choice in diameters. Lower will give you more hole shot.

"Plug your numbers into Mercur

"Plug your numbers into Mercury's prop selector, give it all the info including current max speed and what you want from your prop.

If you trim further you'll probably up your rpms a bit, but that would very much be for straight line flat out, as you're likely to blow out in a turn when you're trimmed alot.

That prop is giving you the best mid-range cruise, but if you dropped to a 16 you'd be gaining around 200pm putting you spot on especially if you trimmed.

But for 1 inch is it worth the money? Also what top speed are you getting?"

"For the moment I'm gettin

"For the moment I'm getting around 40mph, but I just raised the engine one hole and am going to test that tomorrow, apparently my engine was too low..."

According to Mercury's sit

According to Mercury's site the 16 will give you the overall best performance but you'll get the best cruise from the 17.

Raising the engine up as I understand it should help you gain some revs but you'll have to see how easily you ventilate in a turn.

Can somebody tell me what the

Can somebody tell me what the max diameter is that I can put on my engine ?
I read that with spacers I can use yamaha props (15 spline) on my TLDI.
But need to know if a 14.5 or 14.75 diameter will fit/work on a 90tldi

Back