Logo

Shift cable on Alpha drive

gaffney1951

"I'am trying to remove The

"I'am trying to remove The alpha drive on my 230 scorpion. I Know it is supposed to be in forward gear, but the cable is is disconnected from the rest of the linkage and does'nt seem to want to move. If I can get it to move how can I tell which gear it's in by looking at the cable. Thanks, Mike"

"The cable end would need to b

"The cable end would need to be in as far as it will go, but you can check by turning the prop.
Turn the prop counter clock-wise, it if LOCKS' its in Forward, if it Rachets is either in Reverse or Close to Neutral or Forward. If it Locks turning the prop clockwise, then it's in Reverse. Also if you till the drive ALL the way up, and you look underneath you will see a vertical shaft about the thickness of a Rachet Wrench Extention about 6-8 inches long that meets in the middle the 2 peices come together at 90 degrees, it needs to be straight with the center of the boat, that's Forward. You can safely put pliers on them to turn.

good luck, hope this helps."

"ps, turning the shift shaft o

"ps, turning the shift shaft on the outdrive shift shaft clockwise(looking virtually top down) puts it in forward, turning it 90 degrees counter-clockwise puts it in reverse.
The cable may be a little harder to move with the drive up all the way.

May I also recommend the Sierra EXTREME shift cable.

You'll need a friend to help install the new cable & cable housing, dont use the old housing, not worth the trouble, and when inserting into the shift cable boot, use some lube or liquid soap.

pss,, when removing the old cable be sure to remove the clamp from the small end of the shift cable boot and hold the boot small end while removing the cable else you risk damaging the boot, unless you are going to replace."

Back