Logo

Loss of powerstallsrough idle

mschwenz

Contributing Member
"(3.0litre 2001)So the

"(3.0litre 2001)So the problem is after 10 minutes of cruising we bogg down and stall. It becomes hard to start and wont idle very well until the motor cools down. (very shaky) Also when cruising before it boggs down i feel a little miss or loss of power every now and then and it becomes more frequent before it will die out.
In the driveway she shakes a bit at idle but when increased a little, (1400 rpms) it smooths out. New Plugs, New Wires, New cap and rotor, new coil...

What am i looking at here: Timing problem, or a mixture issue, or something else.

I have tinkered alot with the mixtures but i cant seem to get her to idle smooth so i just left it where it is best. Any pointers on how to tune it. I have been following a clymers manual but its not too detailed on that.

Thanks guys anyhelp would be nice"

check the timing then if thats

check the timing then if thats ok then try adjusting the carb again put the adjustment screws in the middle of there stumbling points (adjust to the left till it starts to stumble note that point turn to the right until it stumbles note that point then udjust to the middle of those two points) that will be a happy meadium sorta speak if you have two adjusting screws do both the same

That is pretty much exactly wh

That is pretty much exactly what I have been doing as far as tuning and Im not really sure where the filter is? Do i have to take apart the pump unit?
Im going to check timing and test run again tommorow too

"on the 3.0L, 1 of the filters

"on the 3.0L, 1 of the filters is in the top of the fuel pump, loosen the screw/nut and slide the strap aside, the other one is in the carb where the fuel line goes in, more of a strainer."

"OK so today i adjusted the ti

"OK so today i adjusted the timing to the specs in the book, reset the carb again, and she wouldnt even start. Took out the plugs after trtying for 15 minutes and they were black. Tried leaning out carb and showed no difference. Eventually decided to try adjusting the dist. again manually to see if i could get it to run a point to gain a starting point and when i felt like I was getting somewhere the starter decided to crap out and spin(spun freely/not clicking as if a dead battery)

When I was setting the timing had a hard time getting it into base timing because it was reading well btpc normally and when I connected the gear interrupt wires and used a jumper wire on the dist cap wires too.
I eventually was able to set it in base timing mode(I think) and had the right specs (again Im pretty sure at least it was reading 2 after and then about 12 before normally)"

"Everything I read sounds like

"Everything I read sounds like too much fuel. Choke stuck closed or fuel level too high in the carb, needle and seat, float level too high or sunk float."

We adjusted that carb for hour

We adjusted that carb for hours had it leaned out alot no difference and the choke isnt stuck. IT has been starting fine no problems it was just after we set the timing and reset carb it stopped. It would turn over but die shortly after

IT basically went from very cl

IT basically went from very close to running fine to crap in a matter of minutes
Well anyway I have to order a starter now

Back