Logo

Loss of power

john_boy82

"hi all i have a 1999 bayliner

"hi all i have a 1999 bayliner ciera 2655 with a 5 litre v8 mercruiser, my problem is this the engine statrs fine i give it some throttle and it goes fine but whenever i try and get the boat up on the plain or give it any real throtle it pulls of for a few seconds then just falls back when this happens the engine does not cut out or seem to loose any power. i thought it was just my prop that had the wrong pitch or something but it seems to be correct one does anyone have any ideas?"

"slipping hub, remove it and s

"slipping hub, remove it and scribe a mark and retry. mark moved=hub slipping,
coupler going bad?"

""seems to be fine" ,d

""seems to be fine" ,did you check it like above?
you cant tell by feel, if the mark moved, the hubs slipping.A coupler is usually a "no go" type failure and you will be overheating."

"[b]" the hub seems to be

"" the hub seems to be fine no sign of slipping,"

Ayuh,...And How'd you verify that,..??

"but whenever i try and get the boat up on the plain or give it any real throtle it pulls of for a few seconds <u>then just falls back when this happens the engine does not cut out or seem to loose any power</u>."

Please explain how it can "just fall back", if there's no change in Power,..??
Does the motor Race Up it's rpms,..??
Or just Lugging along,..??

You've gotta give Us a few hints now 'n then...."

i removed the prop and took it

i removed the prop and took it to the dealer he said the prop and hub were fine.
at low rpm the boat goes great then when i open the throttle it pulls away and starts to go on the plain but only for a few seconds at this point the rpm are around the 4000/5000 mark then when it falls back the noise changes and the boat just starts lugging along the engine does not cut out and the rpm do not race up and there does not appear to be any overheating.

thanks for all your help

sounds to me like your carbura

sounds to me like your carburater is starving for mega fuel. or your coil or plugs could be breaking down under the call for power

have you give it a good tuneup

have you give it a good tuneup lately? and also what did the dealer say when you took the prop to him that he thought it might be

"i got the boat last year and

"i got the boat last year and the dealer was ment to have serviced it all but i dont think they did so it could have been some time since it was last tuned up, the only thing the dealer really mentioned was the coupler, could i tune it myself or does it really need to see a mechanic?

what is the best way to test if the plugs/coil are breaking down?"

well if you think it has been

well if you think it has been awhile since its last tune up then i would do it if you are mechanicly enclined at all you can perform it yourself its basicly remove and install but you have to get the right gap on the plugs most come close to being set but not always the coil on the other hand is either bad or good but if its week you can tell by takeing the wire loose from the coil and hold it close and crank the motor and see what color spark jumps from the wire to the coil if its yellow its week if its blue then its ok

thanks steve goin to buy a ser

thanks steve goin to buy a service manual and give it a go. when you say remove and install what are the main parts to remove and install.

"[b]"when you say remove a

""when you say remove and install what are the main parts to remove and install."

Ayuh,... If you've got to Ask that,...
You're over your head,...
Find a Mechanic..."

you will need a set of plugs/w

you will need a set of plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor button but like bondo advised sounds like you need a mechanic. now that doesnt mean you have to take it to a shop almost everyone knows a shadetree mech who can help and guid you thru it . if your lucky to get one to help pay close close attention to what he does so you can do it yourself the next time

Back