Logo

Engine uprade queery

knehdn

Contributing Member
"The boat - a 1977 26' Rei

"The boat - a 1977 26' Reinell cruiser. The original package was a Merc 228 (small block Chev 305) with matching drive. This motor was pooched beyong repair so it got tossed. Now to replace it, I was told that I could probably go to a 350 cu.in. seeing as it's the same small block configuration, just more hp.
So... will the existing 228 Merc drive be able to handle this extra horsepower?
Please and thank you."

"This is a predicessor to the

"This is a predicessor to the Alpha drive.... and is very much the same design.
Some will tell you that we are at the limits for an Alpha drive at 26 feet and over, and with the type of power from a good 5.7L SBC.
Would I go with the 5.7L? Yes! Absolutely!
Just note that you could over burden this drive if you have a heavy "get-me-up-on-plane" throttle hand!
No need for a water ski take off in this size hull!
Just an FYI on that!"

"Thanks Ricardo.
It is a 26 f

"Thanks Ricardo.
It is a 26 footer, aft cabin sport cruiser weighing in around 3500+kg., so no, there won't be any waterskiing take offs with this thing. I just figure that with a stronger motor it'll be less burdened under a normal type of use basis.
Much appreciate the input.

.... now there's company in Toronto (Crosstown Engines) that sells rebuilt marine grade 350 V8s for around $1600 CDN. My guess it doesn't include exhaust manifolds or risers, but still sounds like a good deal... Is it? Methinks it is, so I just may save my pennies for one of these.
Again, all and any input is appreciated.
Gabe"

"Gabe Klemm
I rebuilt my 4 cy

"Gabe Klemm
I rebuilt my 4 cyl in Edmonton last year and it cost me around $2000. for the machining, head rebuild,gaskets,pistons bearings, using my own labour etc.
So I think $1600. for a marinated 350 would be a good deal.
Bert"

"Actually, you'll be much

"Actually, you'll be much happier with a 5.7L. A 5.0L engine is a bit small for that hull. There is a fair chance that your fuel consumption will improve."

Hmmm... OK.... I'll see if

Hmmm... OK.... I'll see if they have a 5.7 available. Now the 5.7 would be fuel injected as oppposed to having a carb?

The website doesn't list a

The website doesn't list a 5.7. But they do have a 7.4 ($2600 +/-) and GM 502 ($3000 +/-). The 7.4 is 454 with 390 hp. and the 502 is a high performance unit with 600 hp. Either of these might be a little too much. Yes?

"[b]"I'll see if they

""I'll see if they have a 5.7 available. Now the 5.7 would be fuel injected as oppposed to having a carb?"

Ayuh,... You're shopping Long Blocks here,.. Not complete motors...

No Carbs,.. No EFIs,... Just Long Blocks...

The 5.7l Is the 350,... Same motor, 2 names...

7.4ls,+ 502s are BBCs,... You're looking for SBCs...

Manifolds, nor Nothing else is included with a Long Block motor..."

"When lst I shopped, factory n

"When lst I shopped, factory new 5.7Ls were available as either a 2BBL (260 HP) or FI (300+) versions (at least for the inboard versions.

Part of the decision making process here involves how you are going to do this project and what your skills and resources are."

"I think I'll go ahead wit

"I think I'll go ahead with my original plan to buy a 350cu.in. I've most of the tools and plenty of time (well, whatever time my wife allows me that is), just need to budget for everything. I had planned on this being at least a 3 year project. (got the boat last summer for free)
Seeing that the hull and stringers are sound, and the transom was done not that long ago, I feel this is a worthwhile project. Plan on doing the interior (fake white fur glued everywhere with orange paisley cushions) this year and maybe the wiring. And if things go well, hopefully buy the motor next spring."

Back