Logo

Light brown foam from value hoses

chuckwag

"My 5.7 has been sitting for a

"My 5.7 has been sitting for a while I changed the fuel and oil and started it, ran it at low idle for awhile than rev it. light brown foam started coming from the hoses from the value covers. and the engne started running alittle rough, there was no oil or foam coming from the lower EXHAUST and the carb was clean, no smoke. did i put the wrong oil in it, the dip stick was coated in foam also. HELP"

"take of the oil fill cap and

"take of the oil fill cap and take a look see, maybe bring to a mechanic if you can't figure out what it is.. brown foam, still thinking."

"What kind of oil do you use?

"What kind of oil do you use?
Do you use and additives?
Does your engine use coolant?

Is the foam maybe a little grey?

Clean the tubes where you found it, check the oil fill cap, if you have coolant, keep an eye on it, also watch your oil very closely."

"this was thick like coffee mi

"this was thick like coffee milk shake, it came from the valve cover hoses to the carb, i'm sure i use merc 4 cycle oil. would the 2 cycle stuff do that. in the morning i'm going to drain the oil and check everything out, the oil pressure was good and there wasn't any smoke or oil coming from the exhaust. the dip stick was covered in it also. it was the colour of coffee with cream in it."

"this was 5.7 inboard, the rab

"this was 5.7 inboard, the rabbit ears were working fine and the motor was running normal temp. good water pressure from the lower unit water running clear"

"Ok, if its a pan full of wate

"Ok, if its a pan full of water and oil, were do i start taking it apart, the manifold and then the heads"

"well,first take out the spark

"well,first take out the spark plugs,remove the bottom hoses off the exaust manifold,and use one of them to plug off the housing, rig up a water hose to the inlet at the therm housing , turn it on and wait to see where it comes out from.
The dipstick= cracked block
the spark plug holes = cracked heads,cracked cylinder walls above the piston.If nothing come out from anywhere, suspect the manifolds.Remove and water test them."

"I should know tomorrow, I&#39

"I should know tomorrow, I'll pull the old oil out, is there a way of flushing the system to clean it before i add new oil. or should i just take cheap oil and run it threw the head until it comes out clean."

"dont bother untill you test i

"dont bother untill you test it.If the tests go good, then drain what you can, replace the oil filter, add 3 qts oil 3 qts diesel and run at idle for about 10 minutes watching the oil pressure.drain and do it again."

"WELL WENT OUT TO PERFORM THE

"WELL WENT OUT TO PERFORM THE TEST TO THE BLOCK, I LEFT THE DIP STICK OUT OF IT LAST NIGHT AND FOUND WATER DRIPPING FROM THE DIP STICK TUBE, SO I GUESS THAT WAS ENOUGH TO TELL ME CRACKED BLOCK, THANKS TO ED FOR THE TIME AND HELP HE GAVE ME, AND EVERY ONE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO POST. PHIL"

"You could get lucky, might be

"You could get lucky, might be a bad head gasket, or crack in the head. Sorry to hear the bad news."

"tomorrow the motor comes apar

"tomorrow the motor comes apart, good new i have the shop to do it. I hope it may be a blown head gasket but i doubt it. there was 4 gals of this coffee milk shake foam in the block. I dont know where it all came from. but i will need a good gasket set if it is a blown gasket and a manual. i believe i can get the gasket set from one of the members, but not sure which way to go for a manual, any suggestion I just need the torque settings"

"tomorrow the motor comes apar

"tomorrow the motor comes apart, good new i have the shop to do it. I hope it may be a blown head gasket but i doubt it. there was 4 gals of this coffee milk shake foam in the block. I dont know where it all came from. but i will need a good gasket set if it is a blown gasket and a manual. i believe i can get the gasket set from one of the members, but not sure which way to go for a manual, any suggestion I just need the torque settings"
What was the final cause??? Mine sit for almost 2 years. Cranked it up today, seemed fine but almost no gas in the tank. I put 18 in and backed into the river. I backed up under power to get away from the dock. I slid the engine cover back just to check from water leaks. Thick chocolate milk colored foam was spewing out of the 4 barrel Holley. It covered the entire motor and shutdown just as I got back to the dock. Other clue is that there was one of the freeze plugs that I had to put back in before we drove to the lake.

What was the final cause??? Mine sit for almost 2 years. Cranked it up today, seemed fine but almost no gas in the tank. I put 18 in and backed into the river. I backed up under power to get away from the dock. I slid the engine cover back just to check from water leaks. Thick chocolate milk colored foam was spewing out of the 4 barrel Holley. It covered the entire motor and shutdown just as I got back to the dock. Other clue is that there was one of the freeze plugs that I had to put back in before we drove to the lake.
Ayuh,..... Antique threads are usually ignored, so start a new thread of yer own,......
Sounds like it wasn't winterized, so you've got a frozen busted block,....

Back