Logo

Rattle

"Hello all,
Put the

"Hello all,
Put the boat back in the water for the season last week, managed to sea trial it today for the first time and she ran perfectly.....until when on the plane at about 3500 rpm I developed a nasty metallic rattle and a misfire, I immediately throttled off and lifted up the engine bay cover and it sounded like the rattle was coming from the right hand bank cam cover, the oils pressure was ok ( 20-25 psi hot tickover) I shut the transom pipes and decided to limp it the 5 miles home up the river...as soon as I throttled back on it was fine again, I gave it WOT.....still fine?!? Any ideas what I could be dealing with here? !1991 350 Mag Alpha 1. I dipped the oil at the mooring just to check the level...all fine?!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Regards

Mark"

"Mark Langford
Possible a pie

"Mark Langford
Possible a piece of carbon broke off in the cylinder, or a lifter may have got a chunk of gunk in it causing it to collapse for a bit.
Bert"

"Thanks Bert,
Tha

"Thanks Bert,
Thanks for that, is there anything I should be doing? I'm due to go out on it for the day tomorrow, should I just see what happens? Somebody has suggested that it could have taken a gulp of water through the open pipes, any thoughts?

Cheers

Mark"

"Mark Langford
I'd take i

"Mark Langford
I'd take if for another run and see how it performs. If it starts rattling again use caution, you don't want to hatch the engine. There shouldn't be any water being ingested,if your exhaust is in good order.
Let us know
Bert"

"From the description i'd

"From the description i'd go with a collapsed lifter, maybe do a compression check, you might have a bent pushrod now to."

"Thanks Steve, no sun but the

"Thanks Steve, no sun but the boat ran perfectly, tried it under all sorts of loads, WOT, skiing etc. I think I'll just put it down to one of those things!"

glad all worked out for you ma

glad all worked out for you mark those crazy little noises jump up every now and again as long as they dont last ha ha enjoy the season

"Thanks Steve, have a great se

"Thanks Steve, have a great season to all of you 'across the pond' and thanks for your ongoing help and advice"

Back