Logo

NS5BS bad fuel pump symptons Help

jsb_pg

"New to me 2002 5BS that will

"New to me 2002 5BS that will only run on half choke, will not idle and in general runs like crap. What I've done - new fuel & oil, removed, dissembled,cleaned carb (it was very clean to begin with), verified float works correctly, pulled and checked all fuel lines and the fuel filter. Also changed the plug although it is pretty obvious that the issue is fuel related. It runs the same as before I did any work. I suspect the fuel pump is bad - perhaps the diaphragm gaskets as these seem somewhat ridgid (I did carefully remove and clean the pump's reeds). I noticed that the motor fails to keep fuel filter full when the tank is below the engine. If I raise the tank above the engine fuel stays in the filter and it runs a bit steadier - but still like crap. The carb is really very clean and doesn't show any wear. I'm tempted to just buy the pump gaskets but I've never owned a 2-stroke so wonder if it could be bad reeds or something else..... suggestions much appreciated. - Jim"

"Try pumping the fuel bulb on

"Try pumping the fuel bulb on the line from the tank and see if that will keep it running with the choke (off).

If that makes a difference, do the fuel pump..."

I tried that several times and

I tried that several times and didn't make a difference. I thought that might be because the reed/valves prevent fuel from flowing in different directions but that doesn't mean the fuel is flowing along. I don't know - it took me a while to figure out how the fuel pump worked. Never saw one like this - pretty ingenious. Other suggestions?

Back