Logo

AQ145A

gryg1

Regular Contributor
"I have just discovered where

"I have just discovered where the oil is coming out of my engine and on examination it seems to be coming from between the gead and the bloke around the area on between no 1 & 2 cylinder.the oil does not seem to be a problem tonkering around at at 2000 to 3000 rpm only when traveling at crusing speed around 4000rpm.i find i get a large residue of oil in the bottom the boat after 1/2 hrs at 4000rpm.the engine is not missing, runs like a charm,but with a torch i noticed a bit of the head gasket missing.will this be a problem if future or do i need to retension the head gasket.maybe the gasket is being blown out slowley.what's your advise on this.I can put up with a littlebit of oil,as this has been like this for months now."

"You might have clogged oil re

"You might have clogged oil return passages in the heads. There's small holes at the corner of the heads where the oil is supposed to drain back. If these are plugged with crud, the oil piles up in the heads and leaks through the valve cover gasket.

Pull the valve cover off and open these holes (if plugged).

Jeff"

Oil leaks normally happen betw

Oil leaks normally happen between the head and the valve cover on Volvo OHC engines. The solution in that case is either a new valve cover gasket or coating the old one with a layer of blue or copper ATV silicone. Sometimes you get away by just retightening the valve cover nuts.

"I think i had done a spelling

"I think i had done a spelling error .i put GEAD & BLOKE in my message.it should read:examination it seems to be coming from between the head and the block around the area on between no 1 & 2 cylinder.sorry about that, didnt proof read it."

"I have just discovered where

"I have just discovered where the oil is coming out of my engine and on examination it seems to be coming from between the head and the block around the area on between no 1 & 2 cylinder.the oil does not seem to be a problem tonkering around at at 2000 to 3000 rpm only when traveling at crusing speed around 4000rpm.i find i get a large residue of oil in the bottom the boat after 1/2 hrs at 4000rpm.the engine is not missing, runs like a charm,but with a torch i noticed a bit of the head gasket missing.will this be a problem if future or do i need to retension the head gasket.maybe the gasket is being blown out slowley.what's your advise on this.I can put up with a littlebit of oil,as this has been like this for months now"

You may be able to reduce the

You may be able to reduce the problem temporary by taking apart and clean the oil fill cap to reduce cranck case pressure. If the fill cap is clogged up it might be the reason for the gasket to blow out. But sooner or later You will have to replace the gasket!

"yes this could be the answer,

"yes this could be the answer,but(theres always a but)i have a breather on my valley cover that was once piped to the inlet of one of my carby solex carby.this was always accumilating some oil so i piped this through a hose to the stern of my boat.since then i have had no oil in the carby top,and very little coming out of that pipe.so i would thing that i would not have to much crankcase pressure anyhow.do you think that the head would require retensioning,as i do not believe that its ever been done before.a little old fisher man had it before a drove it (i think)like ?????I have never done a compression check because it runs like a dream.never had to ,because there was not reason to.i allways do not exceed 3900rpm because i know the exhaust manifold is in need of replacing but that stuff(liquid steel)has fixed my problem of corrosion on no 4 for sum 8 mths now.engine does not smoke idles allmost like new.what do you think that could cause anyother reason for this oil leaking only at sustained(1/2 hour)driving at 3500-3900rpm.you input is valuable.thank you."

"Retorqueing would not do much

"Retorqueing would not do much to help the problem. There is only one way and that is to replace the gasket. As for excessive cranck case pressure, it normally related to blow by of the piston rings. If so the oil would normally get black rather quick. However I would recomend to get the ventilation hose back where it belongs even if a bit of oil appears in the silencer.
Considdering the age of the engine perhaps You should consdder a rebuild (new piston rings and bearings) and reseal before any other gaskets blows out."

Back