Logo

Starter problems

75searay240

"here we go I have a prestolit

"here we go I have a prestolite starter of a 1975 searay 233hp mercruiser. Starter spins but will not engage. where can a person find replacement parts for this? Everything checks out fine, but bendixwill not engage. this starte has a ome number of MEO7003. the bendix assy. number is 480374,,, maybe 03h9 added. Or is there a direct replacement starter avalible. Please help with ideas"

Have it rebuilt by a competent

Have it rebuilt by a competent shop. this is usually less expensive than new. The starter you have was used for a great number of years.

"We use J&N Auto for our m

"We use J&N Auto for our municipal fleet equipment--they are a quality remanufacturer with a quick turnaround, nothing but good from them. They have 4 models based on your part number.

JANNCO 410-20003R Starter, Remanufactured,
12 volts, DD, CW, 9 teeth, Pinion Diameter: 1.000in - 25.4mm,
Notes: Prestolite MEO Series Prestolite MEO7003

J&N Auto Electric, Inc.
1201 Glendale-Milford Rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45215
Local: 513-771-8000
Office Fax: 513-771-6502
Toll Free: 800-366-7100"

"good luck I tore the starter

"good luck I tore the starter apart and the drive was stuck , able to free with oil and works fine. However I would like to replace the bendix drive anyone have ideas where I could purcase this drive for the meo7003 starter? Thanks for the posts."

"75searay240:
these starter

"75searay240:
these starter reference nos. will intercgange with yours.
Reference Numbers:
JANNCO 410-20003R
Dixie MS5025
Mercury Marine 50-69865
Prestolite 46-2237, MEO7003

Is your engine a Ford? Try a Ford aftermarket part for the solenoid if you must. I suspect you are a conscientious boater that likes to do all the repairs yourself.

Boatrep1 is trying to tell you to not nickel & dime a 31 year old starter. Bury it or have it professionally remanufactured. Do a favor for those who are on your boat 10 miles out (by replacing the dead starter) when the storm of the century approaches and the starter that worked fine at home hangs up, starts smoking and fries the battery and cables. I've seen insulation on cables and battery terminals melt due to shoddy repairs. The risk of fire is too great. It may be only 12 volts D.C. but the battery's current is the force driving the starter.

Now that you are broke down some other boater is put at risk rendering you aid all because you wanted to patch up a feeble starter. Do the right thing; fix it right so you don't have to fool with it for years.

Armature windings vibrate loose over the years and need to be resoldered and resealed. The armature also is worn down by the brushes and it needs to be turned on a lathe to true it and then it has to be undercut to remove the mica insulation for the brushes to make correct contact. The bearings need to be replaced to maintain shaft alignment. Why do you think the starter hung up in the first place?"

Back