Logo

93 Mercruiser Starting Problem

This is my first boat...
I ha

This is my first boat...
I have a 1993 Mercruiser Manta Ray with a 4.3L and I cannot get the thing to start by key. I was out in it when I stopped for lunch and didn't start. $370.00 later after Towboat came out it starts if you run a lead or metal between the links on the starter selinoid. I replaced it and am getting power to the selenoid from the key and constant from the batteries but selenoid wont open or kick on for the starter.

"You should have a serial numb

"You should have a serial number somewhere on your engine, either on the black plastic cover on the flame arrestor, if you have one, or on a sticker on one of the valve covers. If the engine was replaced these items may not have been.

So when you turn the key to start you get 12v @ the solenoid ? if so does the solenoid click? You should have a "Slave" solenoid too, you'll need to check that one."

Jump the top two studs on the

Jump the top two studs on the slave solenoid. If the starter turns over the engine replace the slave.

I replaced the solenoid on the

I replaced the solenoid on the top of the engine and wired it exactly as it were before and no luck. I also replaced the ignition switch and the ignition wiring to make sure it were receiving full voltage at the solenoid... It worked fine for about a dozen starts then no luck. It still starts if I jump the solenoid but nothing by key. Still stumped....????

Correction... Worked fine for

Correction... Worked fine for a dozen starts before all the changes and the replacement of the batteries... I replaced the old batt with Optima batteries.

Does the slave solenoid get 12

Does the slave solenoid get 12 volts on the small termial w/the key in the start position? If not then make sure the shifter is in neutral. The neutral safty switch has to be closed for the start position of the key to send the slave 12 volts. Recheck the ignition switch wiring.

Will check wiring on shifter.

Will check wiring on shifter. I used an automotive remote starter from the hot/batt line to the small starter terminal on the solenoid so that should have been 12v but will check the neutral switch. I ran a new lead from the starter switch to the starter lead on the solenoid. But fried my voltmeter leads earlier and will have to get new set before I can get a positive answer on the actual voltage.

Took boat out to see how it wa

Took boat out to see how it was running and it ran great but a slight hesitation and occasionally stalled from drive to neutral especially if it were a sudden change.

"It`s inside the control box,

"It`s inside the control box, stalling coming out of or going in to gear would mean that the shift cable to the outdrive may need changing.It`s operating the shift interlock switch "

Back