Logo

Perkins HT 6354Oil Change

mahony

"Hi, I have recently purchased

"Hi, I have recently purchased a lovely Broom Crown with two Perkins HT 6354 engines, I want to change the engine oil for the coming season, could someone tell me what capacity these engines hold and what is the best grade of oil to use. My boat is 100miles away from my home and I would like to bring the right stuff with me before I travel."

"I think it's about 2 US g

"I think it's about 2 US gallons per engine. My mechanic for my old 4-108 recommended Shell Rotella, so that's what I'm using in my new boat which has twin T-6354's. Have only changed the oil once since my purchase, but so far so good."

"Many thanks Paul, I dont thin

"Many thanks Paul, I dont think I can get Shell Rotella over here in Ireland, any idea on the 10w-40, 20w -50 ratings for the oil?"

"I use 10W -40 here in Florida

"I use 10W -40 here in Florida. It's the best all around weight for our near constant above 50-degree F temperatures. This is the same as I used in my old Perkins 4-108 on my sailboat.

I'd ask your local country distributor for Perkins/Leyland about an oil recommendation. Also, Rotella may be a locally branded product for Shell, although I've seen it throughout the Caribbean. They may market same product under a different brand where you are.

Hope this helps."

Back