Logo

b84 MC 470 Outdrive

a1nowell

Contributing Member
The two drive gears in my uppe

The two drive gears in my upper unit had a fight on Saturday and both are missing teeth. I am trying to determine if I should rebuild or get a new upper unit. One bolt hole in the upper cap has been stipped and I drilled it out and tapped to a larger size. New unit from M/C are outragious. I found a company called Sterndrive Engineering that sells New non OEM units at half the cost. Any suggestions?

sei offers a decent unit
Ther

sei offers a decent unit
Theres even a set of gears on ebay now for that unit now.

buy the SEI; it'll fit you

buy the SEI; it'll fit your lower unit. For about $1200 you can buy the whole OD from SEI.

"Guy,
Is there any particular

"Guy,
Is there any particular problem with rebuilding a unit that old. Assuming I have the talent to rebuilt the upper unit and get all the shimming corect."

"Larry:

I would think it wo

"Larry:

I would think it would be okay as long as the case was solid. I have little experience w/ODs; mostly water impellers. One of the older fellas can tell you about the older model drives. Sorry for my lack of knowledge w/big gears. I can take apart and repair an old geared wind up clock but not the OD.
sad.gif
"

"Does anyone out there have ex

"Does anyone out there have experience with old outdrives to answer the following:

Is there any particular problem with rebuilding a unit that old M/C 470, 1984. Assuming I have the talent to rebuilt the upper unit and get all the shimming corect."

"hey ive done a 72 volvo penta

"hey ive done a 72 volvo penta 280 outdrive just follow the book, any thing can be done with a little smarts and time and a good book"

"[b]"Is there any particul

""Is there any particular problem with rebuilding a unit that old M/C 470, 1984. Assuming I have the talent to rebuilt the upper unit and get all the shimming corect."

Ayuh,... Other than the fact, that by the time you buy all the gears,+ other parts you'll need, you'll have spent More than a SEI drive...

Nope... No reason what so Ever that it can't be Rebuilt...."

I priced everything out this m

I priced everything out this morning to rebuild and it is about the same price after you factor in the special tools.

I ordered a new upper unit this morning.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

good advice bondo and good res

good advice bondo and good research larry. i was hard headed and wouldnt spend 700 on a 2.5 one time and decieded to rebuilt mine and i had over 1400 in the rebuild

"OK Guys, what stupid thing di

"OK Guys, what stupid thing did I Do?

Last week the two drive gears in my upper unit had a fight and both lost teeth. After pricing everything I needed to rebuild the upper unit I decided to buy a new one from SEI. I have the new upper and I decided to put new seals and water pump in the lower unit.

Now my problem.My foward throttle position is reverse and my reverse is forward. The shift fork looks right what did I doo? I did not mess with the cables at all."

"question 1: what makes you sa

"question 1: what makes you say that?

are you turning the prop to the right and find it's clicking but when you turn it left it's locking ? is so, that's what it's supposed to do,

if you have the same amount of clicking/ratcheting forward and reverse that's a quick way to know your very very close to being properly adjusted. else back to question 1."

"i bought an se116 last year a

"i bought an se116 last year and it has shreded the top gear set already , stern drives are hard to come by in the uk so im not happy realy"

"I had my reverse problem befo

"I had my reverse problem before the upper unit gears went out. This has nothing to do with the new SEI unit.

When I put the throttle in forward, the lower unit is in reverse. When I put the throttle in reverse, the lower unit is in forward."

"then I would say someone put

"then I would say someone put the control box together improperly ( some boxes allow for throttle and shift direction to be changed)

What type of shifter do you have, can you find one like it on the net ? or can you upload a picture ?"

Back