Logo

1980 140

dustytucker

I HAV A 1980 4 CYLINDER MERCRU

I HAV A 1980 4 CYLINDER MERCRUISER AND WHEN IT RUNS WATER COMES OUT OF THE FLY WHEEL AREA I WAS WONDERING IF THER IS A FREEZ PLUG IN THE BACK OF THE MOTOR AND IF THER IS WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CHANGE IT

"Ayuh,... There Is, behind th

"Ayuh,... There Is, behind the Flywheel...

You'll have to Pull the motor..."

Inspect the engine coupler spl

Inspect the engine coupler splines while the engine is out. The splines should not be rounded or pointed but square cut like the end of the OD shaft's splines that fits into it. Change it now if in doubt.

"yeah, you pretty much need to

"yeah, you pretty much need to take the flywheel off to tap a new plug in properly"

"Hi, the crankshaft has stud b

"Hi, the crankshaft has stud bolts that the fly wheel and the coupler are bolted onto, no puller needed for the flywheel(careful, heavy and it can bite) and it doesn't screw on. Recommend a SIX point boxed-end wrench if you can find one, at least a high-quality 12 point, dont' use the open end of the wrench(at least loosening the nuts) as it may round-off the nut."

ps.. good time to check the fl

ps.. good time to check the flywheel teeth to.. and the rear-main seal for leaking. You may also want to re-tighten the oil pan bolts and install a quick drain hose in place of the oil pan drain plug.

Back