Logo

Mercruiser stern drive tilttrim problems

S

Steve C.

"Sorry, I posted this under ou

"Sorry, I posted this under outboards but I have a stern drive.

Hello. I have a 1977 Sea Ray 195 in great cond. with low hours. While running WOT with a new prop, and adjusting the trim, one of the external hyd. lines sprung a leak and bled down the tilt motor fluid. I replaced all four lines today, filled the reservoir, and bled the tilt cylinders to my knowledge. Then I ran the drive full up and down several times before getting stuck in the trailer position. Everything works electricaly but the drive won't lower. The tilt motor sounds like its not loaded when I try to lower the drive. It seems to be spinning like mad but no pressure, and no lowering. When I press the 'up' switch, the motor spins for 2-3 seconds then it loads up against the relief. Then I press the 'down' and the motor again appears to be unloaded and does nothing. Any ideas of what's going on? Thanks. Steve C., Novi, MI."

Make sure the down control val

Make sure the down control valve is opening / working.
You can also try opening the lines at the cylinders and pushing the drive down an inch or so. Tighten the lines an test if the drive will move down. You could have an air lock in the system or another control valve problem keeping the valve for lowering the rams from opening or something like that.

Back