Logo

57L fuel pump problem

popspleasure

"I have s 2000 5.7L EFI engine

"I have s 2000 5.7L EFI engine. Sometimes, when I turn the key to the "on" position, the electric fuel pump will not activate - no sound and no fuel. Consequently, the engine won't start. At this point, I can't tell if the problem lies in the first fuel bowl assy that connects the 2 fuel lines (in and out) or could it be the next cylindrical bowl assembly ( don't exactly know the name of this one) that the first one connects to is the problem. They both exhibit a positive activation sound when the fuel pump assy is working. But when it's not, I'm not sure where to begin to troubleshoot. I have never encountered this sort of problem so I was hoping someone with some experience in this area could offer some insight.

thanks for any help."

I forgot to mention: I ordere

I forgot to mention: I ordered a manual but it won't get here until sometime next week. Can anyone help me before that time?

thanks again.

"Roy, here are a few suggestio

"Roy, here are a few suggestions. First, are the gages active when the key is on? If they are not, the problem lies in the ignition switch circuit, most likely a loose connection or a bad key switch.

If the gages are working properly, indicating voltage in the ignition circuit, I would check the connections and visually inspect the wiring on the engine. There is a relay that activates the fuel pumps, this relay is either not getting a signal or it is faulty. The (+) power to the relay is provided through the ignition circuit via the key switch. The (-) circuit to the relay is provided through a driver coil in the engines ECM module. It is possible that the ECM has failed although much more likely the relay or a connection are the culprit. The relay is most likely a Bosch which can be picked up at any automotive store. I would pick one up and snap it into place, your problem may be solved.

Good luck
Rick"

"Rick, thanks for the info!

"Rick, thanks for the info! I'll check the engine today and trace the wiring harnesses. I did look at the connections but not a thorough inspection. You've narrowed down my search considerably!

thanks again and I'll let you know what I find out.

Roy"

Back