PDA

View Full Version : 57L fuel pump problem

popspleasure
09-02-2006, 11:46 PM
"I have s 2000 5.7L EFI engine. Sometimes, when I turn the key to the "on" position, the electric fuel pump will not activate - no sound and no fuel. Consequently, the engine won't start. At this point, I can't tell if the problem lies in the first fuel bowl assy that connects the 2 fuel lines (in and out) or could it be the next cylindrical bowl assembly ( don't exactly know the name of this one) that the first one connects to is the problem. They both exhibit a positive activation sound when the fuel pump assy is working. But when it's not, I'm not sure where to begin to troubleshoot. I have never encountered this sort of problem so I was hoping someone with some experience in this area could offer some insight.

thanks for any help."

popspleasure
09-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I forgot to mention: I ordered a manual but it won't get here until sometime next week. Can anyone help me before that time?

thanks again.

linesix
09-03-2006, 09:08 AM
"Roy, here are a few suggestions. First, are the gages active when the key is on? If they are not, the problem lies in the ignition switch circuit, most likely a loose connection or a bad key switch.

If the gages are working properly, indicating voltage in the ignition circuit, I would check the connections and visually inspect the wiring on the engine. There is a relay that activates the fuel pumps, this relay is either not getting a signal or it is faulty. The (+) power to the relay is provided through the ignition circuit via the key switch. The (-) circuit to the relay is provided through a driver coil in the engines ECM module. It is possible that the ECM has failed although much more likely the relay or a connection are the culprit. The relay is most likely a Bosch which can be picked up at any automotive store. I would pick one up and snap it into place, your problem may be solved.

Good luck
Rick"

popspleasure
09-03-2006, 10:27 AM
"Rick, thanks for the info! I'll check the engine today and trace the wiring harnesses. I did look at the connections but not a thorough inspection. You've narrowed down my search considerably!

thanks again and I'll let you know what I find out.

Roy"