Logo

357replacement engine325hp

john_white

"Hi,
I am wondering if anyon

"Hi,
I am wondering if anyone have purchased or have used the 357 remanufactured engine..

I am about to purchase 2 which will replace volvo penta. 5.0

PLease let me know"

357 cu. in. It's a new one

357 cu. in. It's a new one to me. By the looks of it sounds like a great engine.

".030 is 355, maybe .040. Gett

".030 is 355, maybe .040. Getting 325 usable horsepower from a 350 in a boat is a tough proposition. 300 is about the max and have any kind of durability. If you want your engine to last you need to keep the cruise RPM down around 3200."

thanks for your advice..just n

thanks for your advice..just new to boating and was wondering if these engines had been used by anyone and whats their opinion. I will have them installed and let you know how they turn out.

"I wouldn't want Cast pist

"I wouldn't want Cast pistons in my marine engine, even my inline 6 has forged, cast is low duty, even better would be Hypereutectic for starters.

Cast is for low performance and low duty/low HP

Forged is what you should/would find in good marine engines and performance engines

Hypereutectic is a higher quality piston, and then there's better than that..

325hp from a 350ci or (or 357 as they call it.. ) yea.. I had a 355ci with .030 so I would say a 357 would be from a well used block with .040 pistons, probably a crank that has been re-worked a few times too..

keep looking you can do WAY better.. good luck."

1.5:1 Rocker Arms? Looks like

1.5:1 Rocker Arms? Looks like a standard production Merc to me. And Stern drive HP is measured at the prop +/- 10% so 325 at the flywheel is about 300 at the prop. And It's even sitting on a Merc shipping pallet.
Asking $9897 for a new 5.7 300HP and $5899 for a an overbored "357" with flames on the cover??????

"Also depending on your outdri

"Also depending on your outdrives, most are only rated to 300 HP or even less. Unless you want to spring big bucks for Bravos."

Back