Logo

Fuel Pump

bojangle

having a problem with fuel on

having a problem with fuel on startup.. I can fill the water seperator with fuel and the engine runs fine til that fuel is gone and then dies... Weak fuel pump ? The pump seemed to work fine wheni took it out ??

Not saying this is your proble

Not saying this is your problem but you would be amazed at the number of fuel related issues I have seen that were nothing more than an empty tank or a closed valve.It does sound like a problem before the pump like the others said.

"If all else has passed the te

"If all else has passed the test, and if you have access to the fuel tank, remove the fuel tank "dip tube" or "pick-up" tube and inspect the screen at the end of it (if so equipped).
These can become corroded, clogged, even broken under the right conditions, etc. It must reach very near the bottom of the fuel tank.

Yes.... ditto on the anti-siphon valve. They are an inexpensive part to replace.

."

"it is the first fitting you s

"it is the first fitting you see at the tank feed, looks just like a regular barbed fitting but has a spring and check ball inside"

"I took the boat apart to get

"I took the boat apart to get to the anti-siphon valve and replaced it, though it looked fine... That didn't help, so I changed the fuel pump... That didn't help, so I thought about what I had done since last fall, and the only thing was the water seperator. The old seperator has a res on the bottom to drain off water I guess.. I couldn't find one like it to replace, but the dealer gave me one he guaranteed would work. It screws on the same and the seal is in the same place, but the pump will not pump through it.. I put the old seperator back on and it fired right up and runs like a top...ever hear of such before?"

"That model is only used on ou

"That model is only used on outboards,so I`ll assume you have one.Is it possable you got a oil filter and not a water/sep filter?"

"Jim, No..... I have not!
Tha

"Jim, No..... I have not!
That fuel filter with the bowl and drain may be a Parker/Racor unit (or a Sierra knock-off). Great filter system!
There is an Inboard and an Outboard version.
The unit with the all metal bowl is the Inboard version and is required by the USCG for I/B and I/O use. (clear plastic bowl is the O/B version)

I'd agree, that is strange that the standard ole marine filter would be restrictive, yet the Racor style would work.
The Racor will work on the three different base units (M/C, Volvo and OMC)..... likewise, the standard paper element filter should work on a Racor base.
This is strange and may be an isolated incident!

Not sure why I am even suggesting this, but the Bt Doctur got me thinking about an oil filter being used instead of a fuel filter (these do share some of the same base threads among them all).
An oil filter with the anti-drain back flapper (or what ever we call them) may actually <u>"check"</u> flow IF the plumbing of the base unit was incorrect... (I.E. arrows indicating direction had not been followed)
I am not aware of any standard fuel filter cartridge being directional to the point of non-functioning in reverse flow........ However, the bases are clearly marked w/ arrows indicating flow direction.
Check to see if the fuel lines are plumbed correctly and accordingly to these arrows.
"

"The other possibility...

T

"The other possibility...

The thread depth on the filter you used is shallow and the threaded "barb" on the mount is long and when you think you have the filter torqued up tight so that the gasket seals, you are actually bottomed out on the threaded fitting. Instead of sucking fuel from your tank, you as sucking air thru the improperly sealed gasket...or maybe the gasket is missing?"

"Robert... good call if the in

"Robert... good call if the incorrect filter (an oil filter for example) was used.
thumbs_up.gif

Any tiny tiny air leak can play hell with a negative pressure system."

Back