Logo

Signs of clutch slip

norvest

"Hello!
I have a Yanmar 270 H

"Hello!
I have a Yanmar 270 HP with a Bravo 2. When I put it in forward, I can feel that it goes into gear, and the propeller starts to rotate, but it takes a 2-4 seconds before the trust from the propeller really starts. In other words it is a very slow/soft shift into forward. When shifting into rewerse, it is much more bang into gear.

This soft forward shift as developed recently, and I am now affraid something is developing. I have tried to disconnect the shift cable in the engine room, and shifted manually. It behaves similar as described above.

Giving trottle going onto plane, everything seems OK.

Is this Bravo 2 supposed to have a soft shift?

Regards from
Norvest"

"The following is a link to th

"The following is a link to the Mercruiser manual that will detail the adjustment procedure for your shift cable....

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11a2r5x.pdf

The following is a link where you can order the Merc compatible shift cable adjustment tool....

http://mercstuff.com/bravocabletool.htm

For what It's worth I just recently adjusted my shift cable via the trial and error method and did NOT use the Merc adjustment tool. My first try and my Bravo III drive wouldn't shift into reverse. So I adjusted the nut (labeled as C in the attached diagram) forward a couple of centimeters, and now everything seems to shift into gear properly.

Since there are a number of simple variables at work with the shift cable adjustment (i.e. is your drive in Neutral, or did you remove it from the Bell housing in Forward or Reverse? ---> The Merc Manual states you should remove the drive in Neutral for Bravo drives) your best bet is to delve into the on-line manual for a clear description of the "how-to" procedure. Please keep in mind the following; A) The length of cable protrusion required from the bell housing will vary depending on the which gear (Forward, Neutral or Reverse) the drive is in, and B) that the length the shift cable will protrude from the bell housing will vary, depending on the position of the shifter cable on your shift selector (assuming the cable is still attached to the shift selector)."

"Thanks for yor reply, and tha

"Thanks for yor reply, and thank you for the links. I will try to go through the adjustment procedure.

My main concern was that i might have a clutch that was starting to show signs of slip, but I dont know if that is a normal problem with Bravo 2.

Regards"

"I'm not a Bravo person mu

"I'm not a Bravo person much, I know they have cone clutchs in the drive(lower) but dont believe they "slip" like a clutch in a car or truck. I do know alpha and earlier drives and when they wont engage fully they will make noise or clatter when the cables not adjust properly"

Back