Logo

Need to repower a 43 Vortec

oaklandaviator

"Hey guys,

A friend just ac

"Hey guys,

A friend just acquired a 1994 Bayliner with the 4.3 Vortec engine in it. The previous owner didn't winterize it at all and the freeze plugs were popped out, exhaust manifolds cracked, heads are cracked, and block is cracked under the intake manifold.

The engine has been removed and we're weighing the options on a new long block. The local boat supply wants 4K for the long block from Mercruiser, but I don't see why we can't use all of the boat accessories, change out to brass freeze plugs, and use a long block for a truck like the Chevy Blazer. Can anyone that's done this tell me which engine block to order ('94 Blazer??) and are there any other differences between the two? Are the camshafts the same...etc?

Thanks in advance for any help."

"1700-2100 in the northeast, c

"1700-2100 in the northeast, could be same cam's not sure 1993 GM/Chevy went to a balance shaft, same on the Merc's. Yea a used blazer/S10 engine is cheaper but it's already got miles on it.. If you want to play around you could find a clean block and put your crank, rods, cam etc into it.."

"Hey Tom, do you still have th

"Hey Tom, do you still have the Inline 6 ? E-mail me.. maybe we can work a trade."

"Brian, that's a great mem

"Brian, that's a great memory, and yes I still have the I-6, but the in-line is in my boat and the Vortec is in my friend's boat.

I appreciate the offer to trade, but then I'd have to paddle mine while my friend drives his in circles around me...and right now I get to drive circles around him (I like that better, I think)!

The Mercruiser Vortec does have the balance shaft, so I'm guessing a Blazer engine with the shaft should work. I know an Automotive reman has some miles on it before the overhaul, but so would a reman Merc. If anyone knows where we can get a decent priced Merc please let me know, otherwise we'll get the auto's long block.

Was just hoping someone could tell me if there were any differences in the blocks so I could be sure and order the right one.

Thanks for the responses so far!"

"I hear ya there, my nephews &

"I hear ya there, my nephews '08 5.0L Glastron 20' does 55+ (hate him) well, remans' aren't really used, new bearings reworked cranks, new cam & lifters, reworked heads, new gaskets of course. I know Atlantic Engine up here in Mass can get any auto or marine engine, but you should be able to google for a local marine engine wholesaler/retailer or talk to a local repair shop they might sell you an engine through them and only make a couple hundred.

ps what size & type boat is your inline in, and how fast can you go ?"

"We'll keep looking around

"We'll keep looking around for a V-6 block of some sort.

As for the inline 6, it's in a 1976 Century Raven 190 that was originally 19 feet long. Previous owner took off the bow rail so it's a little over 17 feet now. Had it out a few days ago and it ran 42-43 mph indicated at 3900 rpm wot. That's with a 14 1/4 X 21 prop. My son and I are having a blast wrenching on the old boat and running it!"

"Your friend's 94 engine i

"Your friend's 94 engine is basically "shot". He's going to spend $500-600 just for exhaust components. He might as well install a new engine coupler due to age; another $400. Then while transferring all the items from the old block to the new reman, he'll find out there are a number of small items to replace.

For all the money he'll spend, tell him to add up all the costs he can for the reman engine and then consider a total "drop-in" engine that has everything nedded to drop-in and go.

They are new everything and are carbed or EFI. I think some sellers make reman. longblock drop-ins where all the items on the outside are new and the longblock is reman.

Check on eBay. Michigan Motors is a reliable seller and so are others. Check their feedback."

Thanks Guy

We're going

Thanks Guy

We're going to get together Sunday and change the u joints in my boat (they're growling) and we'll have a chance to research the Mercruiser reman availability for his boat then. Thanks for the ebay link. We'll take a hard look at it. Trying to keep the costs in check for him!

All the accessories on his engine look good (of course we've still got to get em all off). He got the new exhaust risers shipped in and they were about 370 for both of them. I'll let you know which direction we end up going. Still going to check the cost of a Blazer longblock too.

Thanks again.

"a Blazer longblock too.&#

"a Blazer longblock too."

I believe the cam is different in a marine 4.3L. The casting plugs are also brass. The head gaskets may have stainless cylinder seals. Check with Jasper Marine Engines in Indiana.

"Some local engine guys around

"Some local engine guys around here are saying the same thing about the cam differences. Don't know for sure what the differences are, but I'd hate for him to spend 2K on an Auto-Zone engine and it not make power. We checked Jasper engines as you suggested and they seem to have a reman for 2300. That looks like the way he'll go. Only a few dollars more than the Blazer engine and we know it'll work right in the boat (and won't break the bank).

Thanks for the help guys."

Back