Logo

Can moisture in your fuel cause white smoke

shayes

I have a 260 mercricruiser an

I have a 260 mercricruiser and i was wondering if you have some condensation in your tank of gas will it cause it to have white smoke sense there is no water in my oil i don't think i have a blown head gasket if youhave any suggestions Please let me know.

"any amout of water that i&#39

"any amout of water that i've seen in fuel caused the engine to either not run or run rough, miss etc... I dont think you could get an appreciable amount of water though that the engine could run on and get steam. the best way to check fuel is to put some in a clean clear container and look for bubbles on the bottom

blown head gasket isnt the only way water can get in the oil or cause white smoke on a marine engine

how old are the manifolds ?"

My engine is a 1981 260 mercri

My engine is a 1981 260 mercricruiser i bought it 2 years ago it did overheat at the end of last summer and smoke did comeout of the engine but after replacing the thermostat and kooked it up to the garden hose i rran it for a while and it did not smoke but when i started it the other day it had white smoke coming out and there is no sign of water in my oil so do you know what else it could be?

"Sean, engines don't alway

"Sean, engines don't always get water in the oil when a head gasket goes. The engine will also run fine until too much water gets into the cylinder. You need to forget the oil scenerio and concentrate on the stream/water. Not having water in the oil is a good thing, but water is still getting into the combustion chamber somehow. Do a leak down test. Check the plugs for one that look cleaner than the rest...steam will clean the plug..just like "steam cleaning" does."

"Sean...My first question is..

"Sean...My first question is....how does it run? My van has white smoke coming out of the tail pipe everyday and all is fine. Its just condesation naturally occuring in the exhaust. You may not have a problem if all you see is white smoke. If the smoke lingers for a while or has a deffinate smell to it, then there may be a problem. We used to water inject 6cyl Chevys with a windshield washer pump to help fill the cyls with steam for hi-perf reasons. It worked excellent and I don't recall the exhaust smoking any worse than usual. Re-read what Rollie said and go from there.

Wrench"

Back