Logo

260 mercricruiser White smoke everything seems ok

shayes

I have a 260 mercricruiser whi

I have a 260 mercricruiser which is a 350 engine that i started after being winterized and it has white smoking coming out and even more after reving up more there does not seem to be any water in the oil and the engine seems to be runnig fine does anybody have any suggestions?

Could just be burning off any

Could just be burning off any fogging agents used in winterizing...if it continues could be head gasket gone. Make sure your not loosing coolant over time.

It does not have any coolant i

It does not have any coolant in the boat except the water from the lake or hose i did replace the thermostat at the end of tlast summer but it did not smoke thin and it continues to smoke. would there not be water in my oil if the head gasket has went out?

"yea, but water in the oil can

"yea, but water in the oil can also come from a internally cracked block (sorry) If the manifolds weren't completely drained they may have cracked internally (usually thinner metal) and water is being sucked in by vacuum of the engine running creating steam or white smoke"

I do not see any waterin my oi

I do not see any waterin my oil it looks fine and the engine isrunning perfect except for the fact that it has white smoe coming out and a little more when you rev it up

What is the air temperature?

What is the air temperature? Does the smoke have an odor? Does it look more like fog or steam?

"After running it on a hose, p

"After running it on a hose, pull the plugs and see if there is water in a cylinder and tell us what color the plugs are.

Cracked exhaust manifold from the overheat last year as Brian stated. Start taking the exhaust apart. Plug the water inlets w/plumbers putty and fill the water jacket w/water. Wait ten mins. to see if the water leaks out. Check the condition of the exhaust shutters while you are there."

If the Manifolds are cracked w

If the Manifolds are cracked would there be any water in the oil and what if any would the shutters have to do with the white smoke

You could have a small amount

You could have a small amount of water in the oil; is the oil level over the full mark? A hairline crack near the top of the manifold could allow enough water to enter the exhaust stream and produce a "lite fog".

What is the air temperature? If the air temp is 50 deg. F. or lower the smoke is probably nothing but water vapor; all normal.

Checking the condition of the shutters while the exhaust is apart is done as a preventive maintenance measure since it overheated and the exhaust is apart. No other reason.

No the oil level is a little u

No the oil level is a little under the full mark and yes the air temperature is above 50 when i started it i am at work today trying to get some direction on where to go next if there is a hair line crack in the manifold if i fill it with water will it leak out or will it have to be pressured up to leak and would it not produce enough water to get in the oil atleast unless you run it for a long time since it whenit overheated there was smoke coming out of the engine compartment and i havent taken the boat out on the lake sense just hooked to water hose didnt smoke right after but after it was winterized So you think it is the manifold not the head gasket? Thanks for all of your help!

Check the cylinder compression

Check the cylinder compression to find a cracked head gasket. Head(s) may have warped somewhat from overheat causing a gasket leak.

Back