Logo

Too quick throttle response 2004 250 hp

chipper

"I have a 2004 DF250 that I recently purchased. It has a really scary throttle, when you advance it, the rpm goes immediately from 600 to 1500 with the boat shooting forward. You can't run in between those ranges no matter how hard you fiddle with the throttle. Very bad for trolling and a danger during docking. I've been twice to my mechanic, a Suzuki dealer, who, after he installed new throttle cables, announced that someone messed up the factory settings and that it would cost a lot of money to fix it. Curiously, he and his helper told me to leave it alone. I already suspect he's over his head with these new engines and has no idea what he's doing. Does anyone recognize the problem. I haven't been able to contact the original owner to see how long its been doing this. I'm looking for a new mechanic."

Why do we here so many stories

Why do we here so many stories of dealers who can't service their own engines properly?

"Hi John
All the big four st

"Hi John
All the big four stroke Suzukis have very touchy throttles. But you should still be able to run in the RPM range you describe. This is not a common problem. If you could answer a few questions for me I can help you along.

Dose the engine return to the idle speed smoothly?? You also mentioned throttle cables, is this a single station or dual station set-up? Did you buy the engine from the dealer in Lake Worth? Did the dealer replace the cables between the throttle mechanism and the throttle body on the engine or the cables between the engine and the control? How dose the throttle feel to you, is it smooth or stiff and jerky?

If someone messed with the throttle synchronizeing it could possibly cause that problem. The throttle bodys are factory set on a flow bench and we have been warned by Suzuki not to touch them.

I have seen the cables between the throttle control mech and the throttle bodys on the engine go bad. Before you purchase a new collector cover with the throttle bodys you should get a second opinion if you don't trust your dealer.

To locate a new dealer in your area. Go to SuzukiMarine.com at the top of the page is the dealer locater put in your zip code and click go. It will give you a full listing of dealers in your area."

"Robert

The previous owner

"Robert

The previous owner purchased the motor five years ago and had it mounted by Bluewater Boats in Ft. Pierce. I just heard from him and he said the throttle has always been sensitive. The throttle is smooth coming back to idle and through most of its range. It does have a lot of slack or travel after shifting before you get any response. I don't know exactly which cables the mechanic changed. I was told "throttle cables." I don't know if it is a single or double station. It skips from 600rpm to 1500 and won't operate in between. If it is the throttle synchronizer then maybe the mechanic might be on the ball because that sounds like what he was blaming. If the dealer had taken the time to show me where the problem is and explain the function to help me build my boating knowledge base, I might not be on this forum. I will take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. Thanks"

"I have an 08 DF250 which is v

"I have an 08 DF250 which is very sensitve as well. I get it to go from 650RPM to about 1100RPM by moving my throttle about a hair. I wish it wasn't this touchy as it is difficult to pick a trolling speed when fishing. Part of the problem is the motor is so quiet that I don't hear it rev up like the old 2 stroke it replaced. This is a zero time re-power installation with brand new cables and controls.

I haven't looked at the linkage under the cowl to see how it all works, but I wondered if a little stepper motor with some push button controls on the dash might be a great aftermarket accessory for low speed operation.

Other than this issue the motor is great."

Re: Too quick throttle response

Has there been a resolution on this? I'm having the same issue with a 250. Engine idles perfectly at 650 coming up whether in or out of gear there is no rpm increase and then, the rpms jump to 1050. I watched the throttle cam moving as the throttle was increased...there seemed to be a lot of movement before the linkage started to move, then it was all at once...not gradual as you would expect.

Back