Logo

Lower unit trim pump pressure issues

trey_eckles

"Well it seems this happens ev

"Well it seems this happens every year (3rd year). Moisture has gotten to my trim pump and it seized over the winter. I take the motor off the pump, clean it, replace it and it is good for the season. This time however although the motor works fine now the pressure will not hold. I can run the foot to the top and by the next afternoon it is all the way down. The pressure held til I took off motor off this year. What did I do wrong this year? 1992 4.3LX
Thanks in advance!
Trey"

"[b]"Moisture has gotten t

""Moisture has gotten to my trim pump and it seized over the winter."

Ayuh,... Something musta Froze,+ Split....

Might be time for a New Pump,+ to Fix the water Intrusion issue..."

"when I say it froze up I mean

"when I say it froze up I meant it locked up not that it actually "froze". Knowing that it heald pressure before I took it apart and now it doesn't I just wonder if it is possible something may be out of allignment in the pump or I may have put it back together incorrectly. It is a very simple item to take apart and put back together, but is there something in the pump and not the motor that may be out of allignment?

Thanks again!!"

"" is there something in t

"" is there something in the pump and not the motor that may be out of allignment?"

Pump check valve leaking will prevent the OD from staying put when tilted. Also dirt in the fluid, leaks in the cylinders and hoses will do the same. Did you knobdick w/the valves? They are factory set. Buy a new pump and valve body."

"Thanks Guy. How do I see if i

"Thanks Guy. How do I see if it is the "pump check valve"? Where is it? When I went to put everything back together this time I did have a time getting the motor to seat right back on the pump itself, but I thought I just had trouble lining up the stem on the motor with the slot in the pump. The fluid is clean, I replaced it with new again this year also if there is a leak somewhere I can't find it (no oil dripping from any of the hoses or mising from the resevoir)."

Per my 1987 service manual for

Per my 1987 service manual for Oildyne pumps they (2) are located inside behind the hex head caps on the sides of the pump. A rebuild kit is supposed to be available. I don't have a scanner to send you a picture of one. You'll need to download the pump section from Bondo's free downloads.

Thanks for the info. I have a

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling this will solve the problem. Hey Bondo where might I locate your free download section?

Thanks in advance!

Back