Logo

57 V8 using regular automotive heads

1jeff1

"I may have a cracked cylinder

"I may have a cracked cylinder head or bad head gasket on a 1985 5.7 GMC 260. In any event I would prefer to install new. A friend said I might be able to use regular automotive heads as they are probably the same thing.

Is this true, because I could save a ton of money.

Thanks in advance, Jeff"

"Jeff,
There are many differe

"Jeff,
There are many different models of heads for the 5.7 & 5.0 engines.
The one you choose will affect the compression and air / fuel flow to the cylinders.
There is not anything special about the marine heads depending on the model. The size & type of the valves and springs could be different but the head is the same as far as fitting the block.
If you find a set of heads with the same casting number as you have now nothing will change.
Now if you find a set of heads from a 5.0 the chamber where the valves are will be smaller which will increase the compression. Again this depends on what was installed on the 5.0.
The heads that you now have could already be small chamber heads. This depends on what was install when the engine was built.
The smaller chamber head is a cheap way of adding HP to the engine but the engine will require the use of fuel with higher octane if the compression is raised to much.

I guess that you need to check what the heads you have now are and try to cross match them with automotive heads.
Make sure that the heads have the correct size valves & springs or will accept the valves and springs from the heads you are replacing.

Contacting an automotive machine shop is a good way of finding which heads will work the best and what model vehicle you may find them on.
Just give them the casting number on the heads you have now and they can cross them.
Since any used head (if that is what you are looking for) should be gone through before being used the machine shop should be happy to help if you'll let them know that you will let them do the work.

The heads from a car will work but you must use marine stainless steel head gaskets. Automotive gaskets will not last.
Of course you do need heads from the same model engine so the intake will fit(can't use vortec heads etc)"

Back