Logo

Resistance wire

"I have a few questions..
One

"I have a few questions..
One .what actually is a resistance wire on a mercrusier 470.. what is the reason for it.. what guage of wire..
Also I have in my manual.. many different ways to connect the wiring on my starter to slave solenoid and etc.. i noticed that on the wire diagram it shows the main Postive wire coming from the battery to the starter, but on diagrams for the solenoid it shows the battery + going to the left side of my solenoid, plus the diagram for the wiring harness shows wires one way . which to this day i can turn over the engine.. it has fire.. gas.. but i can not make it stay on.. so i was wondering do i have to wire the solenoid different from the main diagram or do i follow the solenoid diagram.. any help would be appreciated..is anyone here live in Victoria, BC.. let me know..
251248.jpg
251249.jpg
"

"the resistance wire is specia

"the resistance wire is special wire that drops the voltage from 12 to 9 volts to the coil while the engine is running, when starting the solenoid send 12v to the coil to compensate for reduced voltage from the battery when cranking and to boost spark.

as for the engine not staying running, does it stop when you let go of the key ? if so or maybe try bypassing the ignition switch and/or test for 9v at the coil with the key on. it could be a carb fuel delivery problem or fuel problem

are you using ethenol fuel ? I suggest taking a fuel sample and taking a look, do you have a fuel/water separator?"

"A special wire as what when t

"A special wire as what when this motor was running i never noticed a wire going from the carb to the coil.. so i dont know if it need one or had one..i have by passed the ignition and it does the same.. it tries to fire than shuts off..and the fuel water separator i dont see on on the motor..the motor was running a few month ago and all i did was remove all the wiring so i could start it over and fix anything needed.. over the years wires were cut and bypassed so i wanted it all to be cleaned up..I get good fuel.. i have nice spark.. new spark plugs, etc..
but still no go, also i dont understand why the drawings above show wiring differently for the motor.. any ideas.."

"If your engine has points the

"If your engine has points then it has to have either a ballast resistor on the side of the coil to drop the voltage or a resistance wire as shown in the wire schematic.

Since your wiring has been messed with, then let's assume the resistance wire was removed. That would explain why the engine dies when the ignition key is in the RUN position.

If there is a ballast resistor in place of the resistor wire then the bllast resistor is open and not doing its job."

Engine wire harness; insert PN

Engine wire harness; insert PN above in the "Engine Parts" search box.

PN: 84-86675A2 WIRING HARNESS(MCM) This Part is Available for SERIAL #s 00000000-05873488

PN: 84-93178A1 WIRING HARNESS(MCM) This Part is Available for SERIAL #s 05873489-09999999

A resistance wire just a wire.

A resistance wire just a wire. or do i have to find and order one.. i mean the wire that was was new the coil and hanging off the carb was a purple wire.. but it looks normal to me..
if i use a normal wire will it ruin anything..

you need a resistane wire or a

you need a resistane wire or a ballast resistor for he coil to drop the voltage to 9 volts or the points will fry.

Back